Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reinstalling mohave with no pre-Catalina backup

I installed Catalina on my 2019 MacBook Air. I want to uninstall it and reinstall Mohave, but I only have some data backed up, not the whole computer. I'm backing up with Time Machine now (in Catalina), but when I use Time Machine to replace everything after uninstalling Catalina and reinstalling Mohave (from a Mohave bootable drive I'll create), won't that cause problems -- since the backup will have all the Catalina stuff?

Posted on Nov 19, 2019 12:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2019 7:19 AM

... when I use Time Machine to replace everything after uninstalling Catalina and reinstalling Mohave ...

Don't do that. A Time Machine backup contains the complete contents of its source volume. If you were to "restore everything" then the contents of the target system will be completely replaced with the contents of its backup.

Time Machine contains backups of everything up to and including files created or modified within the last hour of using your Mac. You wrote that you don't want to lose those files, so create a Time Machine backup of the existing system. Then, erase the source, install or restore whatever macOS version you wish to install or restore, and finally migrate or selectively restore the recently created or modified files you need.

Refer to Use Time Machine to restore deleted files or older files.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2019 7:19 AM in response to NormanFC

... when I use Time Machine to replace everything after uninstalling Catalina and reinstalling Mohave ...

Don't do that. A Time Machine backup contains the complete contents of its source volume. If you were to "restore everything" then the contents of the target system will be completely replaced with the contents of its backup.

Time Machine contains backups of everything up to and including files created or modified within the last hour of using your Mac. You wrote that you don't want to lose those files, so create a Time Machine backup of the existing system. Then, erase the source, install or restore whatever macOS version you wish to install or restore, and finally migrate or selectively restore the recently created or modified files you need.

Refer to Use Time Machine to restore deleted files or older files.

reinstalling mohave with no pre-Catalina backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.