Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard and trackapd freezes after wake up

Did anyone experience this? I have this problem. Every time I put my MacBook Pro 13" 2019 to sleep for at least 1 minute - after waking it up, my keyboard and trackpad is not responding for 5-15 seconds. Cursor is not moving at all, backlight is not on.

What I have discovered already is that it is somehow related to... WiFi. If I turn off WiFi before putting MacBook to sleep, there are no issues with keyboard and trackpad. If WiFi is on, the problem is back.

I have also a MacBook Pro 2015. The one without butterfly keyboard and touchbar. It has no problems at all with keyboard not responding. Everything is super responsive all the time.

Does anyone else have this issue? It seems like a bug in Catalina rather than a hardware issue in my laptop, but if other machines are OK - is my laptop broken?

P.s. I have filed this as a bug through Feedback Assistant app on MacOS, but sadly as usual - no response from Apple.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 19, 2019 7:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2019 9:10 PM

This answer: "I solved this problem setting IPV6 to OFF in network settings => airport => tcp tab." in this old topic: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5248738?answerId=29499974022#29499974022

helped me to solve my problem. I did something else, however. I didn't change my network settings in macOS, but I have changed one setting in my Asus Router. In IPv6 section > Connection type - I've changed to Passthrough from the default Disable. After this - problem with keyboard and trackpad freezing is almost gone. Happened maybe 2 times in 2 weeks.

But what if I will be using some WIFI that has IPv6 disabled and I will not have access to those settings? IMHO such settings should not make keyboard and tracked freeze in the first place. I believe this is some bug in Catalina. I have filed this bug through Feedback Assistant app on macOS, but so far didn't get an answer from Apple.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2019 9:10 PM in response to mallow_pl

This answer: "I solved this problem setting IPV6 to OFF in network settings => airport => tcp tab." in this old topic: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5248738?answerId=29499974022#29499974022

helped me to solve my problem. I did something else, however. I didn't change my network settings in macOS, but I have changed one setting in my Asus Router. In IPv6 section > Connection type - I've changed to Passthrough from the default Disable. After this - problem with keyboard and trackpad freezing is almost gone. Happened maybe 2 times in 2 weeks.

But what if I will be using some WIFI that has IPv6 disabled and I will not have access to those settings? IMHO such settings should not make keyboard and tracked freeze in the first place. I believe this is some bug in Catalina. I have filed this bug through Feedback Assistant app on macOS, but so far didn't get an answer from Apple.

Nov 22, 2019 11:48 PM in response to MoonJ.

I have tried so many things. Resetting SMC and PRAM as well. Even installing Catalina again on another partition with new user to check if the problem is with some system preferences in my account (as one Senior Apple Support advisor told me to do).

What would help if someone at Apple would check my bug report about it. I have sent one through Feedback Assistant app on macOS. I have explained there that it is probably some bug with Catalina. When WiFi is ON it hangs the keyboard and trackpad. When it's OFF - keyboard and trackpad work fine. Also, I have found out that not all the WiFi networks make this problem.

So, it would be more helpful if some engineer would check and answer my bug report. I really don't understand why bug reports are so often not answered at all or being answered after many months. You know, Apple's users/customers are trying to help solve the issues. And later no-one at Apple reaches out to them.

Nov 22, 2019 5:12 PM in response to mallow_pl

Hey mallow_pl,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! I understand when waking, your Mac keyboard and trackpad are unresponsive for bit. I definitely want to make sure your Mac is working as expected, and I'm happy to help.

To start, I recommend using the resource below to reset the SMC. As this can help resolved issue with your Mac waking and not responding properly.

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac

Thanks again, and have a great day!

Keyboard and trackapd freezes after wake up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.