Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Library not working from external drive

(I am using a 16" MacBook Pro running Catalina 10.15.1 and iMovie 10.1.13)

I copied several iMovie libraries to an external SSD drive and when I open them, I am unable to view media and I receive the error message "iMovie cannot save changes to "Library Name". (See attached screen) Selecting a clip and using "Reveal in Finder" confirms that all of the actual media files are in fact within the Library as they should be.

If I copy the same Library file from the external drive back to my local "Movies" folder it works fine. Oddly, if I copy the same file to my local desktop I get the same issue. So, the Library file works properly when placed in some local folders, but not others.

Any thoughts on what the issue is and how to resolve so that I can use iMovie library files from an external drive?

MacBook, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 20, 2019 6:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2019 9:15 AM

Hi, STriola,

The external drive must be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in order for an iMovie library to work properly on it. It can also be formatted APFS but that is a relatively new format and there may be some compatibility issues with libraries created under older operating systems. At least that is my understanding.

So, to a control-click/Get Info on the external library and see what format it is. If it is anything other than Mac OS Extended (Journaled) reformat it to that. Be aware that reformatting a drive erases all data on it, and therefore you must first back up elsewhere any data that you want to keep, including your iMovie library.

Also, when you do a Get Info on the external drive, scroll down to the bottom of the Get Info box and check the box that says "Ignore Ownership of this Volume". You will be asked to enter your administer I.D. and password in order to unlock. That should obviate any permissions problems that might be causing your issue.

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2019 9:15 AM in response to STriola

Hi, STriola,

The external drive must be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in order for an iMovie library to work properly on it. It can also be formatted APFS but that is a relatively new format and there may be some compatibility issues with libraries created under older operating systems. At least that is my understanding.

So, to a control-click/Get Info on the external library and see what format it is. If it is anything other than Mac OS Extended (Journaled) reformat it to that. Be aware that reformatting a drive erases all data on it, and therefore you must first back up elsewhere any data that you want to keep, including your iMovie library.

Also, when you do a Get Info on the external drive, scroll down to the bottom of the Get Info box and check the box that says "Ignore Ownership of this Volume". You will be asked to enter your administer I.D. and password in order to unlock. That should obviate any permissions problems that might be causing your issue.

-- Rich

iMovie Library not working from external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.