Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ERROR MESSAGE: 500: java.lang.NullPointerException

Trying to log on to our bank website on my wife's MacBook Air running 10.13.6 and even with the correct password etc, can't log on and getting that error message. (500: java.lang.NullPointerException )

What is the fix? THANKS!

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 20, 2019 8:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2019 11:37 AM

That’s an error in the bank’s Java application, or an incompatibility between the app and the installed version of Java. Or both.

See what Java JDK is required for the banking app. Acquire and install that, downloading it from Oracle.

As for the older versions of Java, Java 6 cannot make a secure SSL/TLS network connection. It’s just too old. (Hopefully no financial institution is still requiring something that old, too.)

The newer versions of Java can require you to reconfigure the JDK, or to purchase a commercial license from Oracle. This depending on what parts of Oracle you're using. See the license agreement text for details.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2019 11:37 AM in response to Gregory Proios

That’s an error in the bank’s Java application, or an incompatibility between the app and the installed version of Java. Or both.

See what Java JDK is required for the banking app. Acquire and install that, downloading it from Oracle.

As for the older versions of Java, Java 6 cannot make a secure SSL/TLS network connection. It’s just too old. (Hopefully no financial institution is still requiring something that old, too.)

The newer versions of Java can require you to reconfigure the JDK, or to purchase a commercial license from Oracle. This depending on what parts of Oracle you're using. See the license agreement text for details.

Nov 20, 2019 12:44 PM in response to BDAqua

Java 6 is ancient.

Beyond lacking TLSv1.2 (and lacking TLSv1.1 in configurations prior to update 111), the Java 6 release was deprecated in 2013.

I’d move my money out of a financial institution still using and still requiring Java 6, as I’d assume there were other and yet-larger issues lurking with the security and secure networking.

ERROR MESSAGE: 500: java.lang.NullPointerException

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.