Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2018 Macbook Pro sometimes shows flashing folder with questionmark but sometimes boots perfectly

i have a fairly new macbook pro 2018 without touchbar and it started to show the infamous flashing folder with a question mark. I understand this is some type of startup disk error but my issue is that i only get this error sometimes. Sometimes my MacBook will boot up and work perfectly, other times it won't find the startup disk (or any partition for that matter) for a long time. I have to constantly keep powering it on and off upwards of 10 times for it to finally boot up properly. I reformatted the computer but the issue still persists.

I tried looking online a lot but i can't find anyone who only has this issue SOMETIMES, it's inconsistent but when it does boot it works absolutely perfectly. Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

Posted on Nov 20, 2019 1:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2019 4:40 PM

Have you done this: How to use Apple Diagnostics on your Mac - Apple Support

How to use Apple Hardware Test on your Mac - Apple Support

Use the one according to the year of your Mac

Similar questions

1 reply

2018 Macbook Pro sometimes shows flashing folder with questionmark but sometimes boots perfectly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.