Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Notes Blank

Sometimes when I go to my notes on my phone, the contents of my notes have disappeared. The only way I have been able to get them back is by going to my notes on my computer and editing the note where the content shows up.

To be clear - is it not a login issue. I am logged in to all of my accounts and I am able to see my notes. The title of the note is there, the subtext is there, but when I click the note, it is blank. Oddly enough, it will let me write in the note but with "invisible ink" so I don't see anything when I am typing, but if I leave the note, I can see gibberish in the subtext. See photos below.

So that image shows what I see even if I'm writing (of course there is a keyboard below). The second image shows what shows up after I write something, but if I click the note, I see nothing! Very frustrating when I need the content of a note when I only have my phone. I am not having this problem with my computer. Sometimes if I close out of notes, it lets me see what I'm writing again, but I still can't access the data on a note that is blanked out on my phone until I open it and edit it on my computer and they resync... its a confusing problem, I hope I have explained it clearly but if you need clarification just let me know.

I just got a brand new iPhone XR. Please help!

iPhone XR

Posted on Nov 20, 2019 2:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2019 3:54 PM

Hello Ninaxtina1,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to see contents of notes on your iPhone, unless you edit the notes on your computer. If you haven't already, please force close the Notes app and restart your device as iOS clears cached data and does other system optimizations when you turn your device off and on.

Force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Next, make sure your iPhone is fully up to date, as the updates contain stability fixes that can resolve issues like yours, as well as important security updates to keep your iPhone safe. If you're still having this issue, please contact Apple for further assistance.

Update the iOS software on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Contact Apple Support 

Cheers!

95 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2019 3:54 PM in response to Ninaxtina1

Hello Ninaxtina1,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to see contents of notes on your iPhone, unless you edit the notes on your computer. If you haven't already, please force close the Notes app and restart your device as iOS clears cached data and does other system optimizations when you turn your device off and on.

Force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Next, make sure your iPhone is fully up to date, as the updates contain stability fixes that can resolve issues like yours, as well as important security updates to keep your iPhone safe. If you're still having this issue, please contact Apple for further assistance.

Update the iOS software on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Contact Apple Support 

Cheers!

Jan 7, 2020 10:00 PM in response to chris_g1

I'm dealing with the same problem. This happens randomly so I never know when I'm going to look for the information on the Note and unexpectedly not have it available. It's really inconvenient to have to restart my phone! Is there a way to prevent this? I keep my phone updated, and this happens even if I've restarted the phone within the last few days. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jan 14, 2020 5:34 AM in response to Ninaxtina1

i have the same problem. i sync mine with my gmail, and the note will appear in the list, but with no subtext. so i clicked a note of lyrics i had compiled over the past ten years, which was blank. i clicked the body to see if it might reappear but it didn't, so i hit back, and then it automatically deleted the note. i looked on my laptop and it was gone also. luckily i had a backup from five days ago in my gmail, but i don't understand why it would automatically delete it off my laptop and treat it as though there is no text. quite infuriating, and i have no way how to salvage the last few days' work.

Jan 30, 2020 5:48 AM in response to Lha10

my New iPhone 11 which I’ve had a week is doing that too. Never had issues with notes before. This is really annoying. My notes are still there but can’t see them. However if I forward in an email to myself it’s there.

clearly there’s a bug and I wonder if it’s with the really expensive iPhone 11. What version do others have?

Mar 10, 2020 2:50 PM in response to chris_g1

This has been happening to me for a while too. It seems to have started right after Apple introduced the “dark” display option. Is it possible the notes app has trouble reconciling the display option that was selected when the note was created, vs the option that is currently selected? I know that switching between light and dark with the notes app open does not fix the problem. But perhaps the problem originates with the conflict, and cannot be resolved until the app or device is restarted.

I’m local, I’d be happy to provide my device for debugging purposes 😉

Jul 3, 2020 2:50 PM in response to Rocktheglobe1

I feel for you having issues like this.. and I don't have a solution for you. Just makes me glad that I changed all my notes over to iCloud a couple years back rather than Gmail like they used to be. I would also be quite frustrated with something like this.

What I wanted to point out, as several people have made comments to the effect that Apple is not responding.. like you think you are talking to Apple in your posts. When you post on here, you are talking to a user based community and the people who respond here are just like me and you.

Here is a link from a high level user that supports this:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-5931

also if you want to provide feedback directly to apple:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Feb 2, 2021 9:33 AM in response to Perplexed2018

Hi was just on to Apple support 

They sent this link, have a read and if it sorts 

“our notes problem” 

Can you please report back if it works cheers

I have a feeling it is to do with Icloud, do you all use Icloud? if you go to notes and the note you want is not there

click on folder on top left hand corner and go to notes in i cloud and see if the note you want works there.

Tell us if you find this is ok! or this below is the link they sent

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209254

Cheers Jade

Apr 8, 2021 8:23 AM in response to Ninaxtina1

It happen to me just now with my new IPhone 12, I found a Solution.

1. make sure your New iPhone 12 or ext, ICloud note are Sync.
  2. On one of your device, IMac or MacBook or IPad ext Make sure the ICloud is Sync.
  3. On one of your device iPad, or iMac ext, you probably have the note that’s not blank.
  4. make a new note and copy and Paste it to the new note.
  5. check back to your new iPhone 12, ext, it should appeared normally as a new note with your old note that you copy and paste.
  6. delete the blank note and your done.

Apr 11, 2020 1:19 PM in response to Ninaxtina1

I had a similar problem. When I used the Notes application on my computer the note appeared fine. When accessing it on my iPhone the note was duplicated multiple times. Some of notes were blank and others didn't have the latest information.

The note I was having problems with was synced using Gmail. I fixed it by saving the note (opened the note and copy/pasted to another document).

Then I logged in to Gmail.com in a web browser. On left side I clicked on Notes label. This showed me all of my notes. I saw the note duplicated multiple times. I deleted all of the problem notes.

Then I created a new note and copy/pasted the original information in to that note. Hope this information helps someone.

May 3, 2020 6:39 AM in response to Ninaxtina1

hey everybody - i just updated my laptop from El Capitan (10.11) to Catalina (10.15) and logged into my iCloud + Google accounts. it seems like my gmail notes are now synced with my phone. when i made a new note in the Notes app on my laptop via my gmail account, it showed up on my phone almost immediately, and vice versa.

NOW, however, my iCloud notes aren't syncing on my laptop, hahaha. just the spinning loading icon next to the iCloud folder, but no notes, even though i have three in there on my phone and it worked fine on my macbook prior to the update. for me this isn't an issue as all my important stuff is in gmail and i was just using the iCloud notes as a quick fix, so... i dunno. try updating and maybe that will help!

May 11, 2020 2:18 AM in response to Ninaxtina1

I’ve had my phone for approx 4 days. Have added and edited notes until this morning I opened up a note and started typing up my Dream went back in to edit it and not one note will open up anymore. I came here and saw others are having this problem. I can’t lose Access to my notes. This is crucial. Please tell me someone is working on a fix.

Jun 7, 2020 12:44 PM in response to chris_g1

My staff and I have been having this issue of disappearing notes on our iPads and me also on my iPhone X for months. Seriously Apple this is a joke, if you cant fix this then it looks like we will be migrating to Samsung.

The only way any of us can see our notes is continually forcing the app to close and then reopen it again. Restarting our devices does not stop it happening. There is no obvious reason why it happens. Sometimes its multiples times a day, others maybe once. At least give us some proper feedback and let us know if anything is actually being done to resolve this very irritating issue.

Apple Notes Blank

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.