Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating/Transferring old to new MacBook Pros

I am having issues migrating/importing between my mid-2012 MBP 15" & my new 2019 MBP 16". My old MBP has a 500GB HD that is mostly full (450GB). My new 2019 16" has a 2TB drive. I have owned Macs since the 80's so its probably best to transfer vs migrate this time but I'm not sure what are inherent issues and what specific to my machines ... and most importantly what is the FASTEST / EASIEST route to transfer info.

My new 16" sees my 15" in my wifi network but the file folders are empty 0kb. 16"MBP is erratic in identifying/accessing any of my backup USB-3.0 SSD drives and won't transfer (plugged in via a Totu 2-port USB-C hub). I can migrate from TimeCapsule on wifi but that's brutally slow. And finally my mid-2012 MBP doesn't see my 16" MBP at all on the network.

Hoping someone can hep, and let me know if my problems are an issue with my particular devices, with the new machines/OS, with going btwn USB-3.0 & USB-C, &/or how best to get this mega transfer done.

Mid-2012 15" MBP = 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Core i7 / 16mb/500GB

2016 16" MBP = 2.3 GHz 8-Core i9 / 32GB/2TB

All running Catalina OS 10.15.1

BTW - I've just ordered a new USB-C 4TB SSD • USB-C/USB-3.0 256GB Flash Drive • USB-C cable for my old portable backup drives. That should all arrive in a few days. I figure something in there's gotta help!

Thanks for your insights & advice!!!

Glen

Posted on Nov 20, 2019 4:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 4:02 PM

UPDATE: The USB-C cable arrived for my external backup drives. That made all the difference the world. The new 16" MBP now is reading / writing with my externals and that's enabled me to transfer to my 16" MBP from my external backups @ ca50MB/sec.

I still don't understand why I hit brick walls with ALL the typical avenues of transfer: particularly my old MBP seeing my new MBP on the wifi network, my new MBP seeing my old MBP w/ TimeMachine, my new MBP being able to transfer from my old MBP via wifi, etc. And I'm very disappointed with the USB-C Hub I bought, not sure if my unit is faulty or its a flawed technology.

Anyway .. issue resolved, case closed! Yay!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2019 4:02 PM in response to GWPolarity

UPDATE: The USB-C cable arrived for my external backup drives. That made all the difference the world. The new 16" MBP now is reading / writing with my externals and that's enabled me to transfer to my 16" MBP from my external backups @ ca50MB/sec.

I still don't understand why I hit brick walls with ALL the typical avenues of transfer: particularly my old MBP seeing my new MBP on the wifi network, my new MBP seeing my old MBP w/ TimeMachine, my new MBP being able to transfer from my old MBP via wifi, etc. And I'm very disappointed with the USB-C Hub I bought, not sure if my unit is faulty or its a flawed technology.

Anyway .. issue resolved, case closed! Yay!

Migrating/Transferring old to new MacBook Pros

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.