Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating data and settings from new MacBook Pro (Monterey) to old iMac 2009 (El Capitan)

Hello community,

I was recently given a 27" iMac (late 2009) and managed to get it working. The OS on it is El Capitan. I was trying to transfer all my data and settings from my MacBook Pro (bought mid 2022, with Monterey) using Migration Assistant but had no success. I tried connecting both machines on the same WiFi but the iMac said that the OS on the MacBook was not compatible (fair enough). I tried using Migration Assistant to transfer from a Time Machine backup of my MacBook but it won't even see the drive I plugged in.

Do you know if there is a way to make the transfer, or do I manually have to transfer all files, download all the apps, and set all the settings?

Thanks,

Martina

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 16, 2022 5:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2022 10:50 AM

Hi,

You'll have to do it manually.

To transfer files, format an external drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), copy files to it from the MBP and then connect it to the iMac to get the files. APFS will not work as you've found out; El Capitan cannot read it. You'll need the proper hardware connection for each Mac.

For apps, most of the ones which work on the MBP would not work on the iMac anyway, you'll need older versions, so you'll have to download them.

You'll also need to download a different browser than Safari to safely access modern websites. Chrome or Brave are two I can think of that should work.

Settings will have to be done manually on the iMac also.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2022 10:50 AM in response to martyroxx

Hi,

You'll have to do it manually.

To transfer files, format an external drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), copy files to it from the MBP and then connect it to the iMac to get the files. APFS will not work as you've found out; El Capitan cannot read it. You'll need the proper hardware connection for each Mac.

For apps, most of the ones which work on the MBP would not work on the iMac anyway, you'll need older versions, so you'll have to download them.

You'll also need to download a different browser than Safari to safely access modern websites. Chrome or Brave are two I can think of that should work.

Settings will have to be done manually on the iMac also.

Jul 16, 2022 5:17 PM in response to martyroxx

martyroxx wrote:

Do you know if there is a way to make the transfer, or do I manually have to transfer all files, download all the apps, and set all the settings?

You have to be careful transferring settings from a newer OS or newer version of an app to an older version. The newer OS and apps may have introduced new settings which the old OS and apps will not recognize plus sometimes the settings file may be a completely different layout. I would avoid transferring any settings unless you are running the same version of the app on both systems.

As far as web browsers, most Chromium base browsers should work on macOS 10.11. In addition to those listed by @tjk, there is also Vivaldi.

If you have the Late-2009 iMac, then it can actually run macOS 10.13 High Sierra which would also give you access to Firefox web browser. The early & mid 2009 models can only run up to macOS 10.11.

Migrating data and settings from new MacBook Pro (Monterey) to old iMac 2009 (El Capitan)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.