migrating information from 2015 iMac to MacBook Air

using migration assistant, is this complicated, has anyone had problems transferring files, photos, documents, apps?

Posted on May 24, 2023 1:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2023 7:25 AM

It's not complicated, but that statement's truth depends greatly on your expertise.

Sure, many people have problems, but they can usually be resolved. For instance, do NOT do it over your LAN.

For me, it's been best to always use MA and an external Time Machine drive attached directly to the Mac.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2023 7:25 AM in response to tessvw

It's not complicated, but that statement's truth depends greatly on your expertise.

Sure, many people have problems, but they can usually be resolved. For instance, do NOT do it over your LAN.

For me, it's been best to always use MA and an external Time Machine drive attached directly to the Mac.

Aug 26, 2023 10:23 AM in response to ku4hx

final solution to migrating data from iMac 2015 to MacBook Air.

First backed up my iMac 2015 to my portable hard drive.

Second then purchased an adapter from the Apple Store that was designed as a USB-C to USB ADAPTER.

Third plugged USB (end) adapter into portable hard drive and USB C (end) plugged into MacBook Air computer

fourth selected migrate and within a short period of time all data was downloaded from portable hard drive to MacBook Air computer.

five everything checked out, all apps, documents, etc.

thanks,

migrating information from 2015 iMac to MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.