Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating data to new MacBook Air from old one.

The new computer does not have the ability to migrate data from the old computer via a thunderbolt as in the past.

I was told to buy a back up drive, use time machine to back up the old computer then use the usb-c cord to download the external drive data to the new computer.

I have never used external drives, nor time machine.

The backup of the old computer into the external drive (G-tech) went well, took a couple of hours.

But when initializing my new MacBook Air, it asks for the new data via external drive or old mac, I checked external drive.

Then the new computer just searches for the data/drive and never finds it. The arrows just go in circles forever.

Why doesn't the new computer identify my external drive/backup? How can I fix this?

Thanks in advance.

(Wish it was still as easy as migrating all the data from one computer to the next with a thunderbolt cord. SIGH)

MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 28, 2019 9:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2019 12:08 PM

It is always best to start with a "clean" Mac. I would second your suggestion to opt for the "don't transfer any information now" option. This way, you can try out your new Mac with the default apps to get familiar with it.

Note: One suggestion is that when you create the new default user account, that you don't use the exact same account name that you used on the old MBA. This will make using the Migration Assistant easier when you do decide to use it as you don't want it to restore your data over an account that uses the same user name.

After "playing" with your new Mac for a bit, you have the option to either use the Migration Assistant to restore your data, or just start adding apps as you need them. The idea is to not migrate any "issues" that you may have had with your old MBA software-wise. You didn't mention the exact model of your old MBA, nor what version of OS X or macOS it was running, so there may be some compatibility issues with any 32-bit apps that you may have been running on it that won't transfer to your new one.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2019 12:08 PM in response to ruth nicholls

It is always best to start with a "clean" Mac. I would second your suggestion to opt for the "don't transfer any information now" option. This way, you can try out your new Mac with the default apps to get familiar with it.

Note: One suggestion is that when you create the new default user account, that you don't use the exact same account name that you used on the old MBA. This will make using the Migration Assistant easier when you do decide to use it as you don't want it to restore your data over an account that uses the same user name.

After "playing" with your new Mac for a bit, you have the option to either use the Migration Assistant to restore your data, or just start adding apps as you need them. The idea is to not migrate any "issues" that you may have had with your old MBA software-wise. You didn't mention the exact model of your old MBA, nor what version of OS X or macOS it was running, so there may be some compatibility issues with any 32-bit apps that you may have been running on it that won't transfer to your new one.

Dec 28, 2019 11:11 AM in response to Tesserax

When starting up the new MBA, you state your language, country, keyboard layout and wi-fi network. Then it asks you to check how you want to transfer data: From a Mac, Time Machine Backup or start up disk; from Windows PC; or don't transfer any information now.

I checked: From a Mac, Time Machine Backup or start up disk.

The next page shows the arrows (2) going in a circle" looking for the source". They continue ad infinitum. I assume the MBA cannot identify my data in the G-tech back up.

I didn't use the migration assistant in the old MBA to do this. Just backed up the computer and then plugged the storage device into the new computer. Should I somehow have used migration assistant in the old MBA?

Dec 28, 2019 12:39 PM in response to Tesserax

I have Mohave on the old MBA. There are no issues I am aware of.

The other frustration with all of this is I also received a new iPad for Christmas. I backed up the iPad to the old MBA in iTunes and now cannot download that to my new iPad.

I have to say this whole set up is not the best. Surely this could have been made easier.

I have used macs since the 80's-I had a 2-E. Yes I am old but have always loved the simplicity of the apple/mac. Now perhaps it's my old brain but none of this is simple. It's almost, maybe, not worth it.

Sorry, but I am frustrated.

Thank you so much for your ear and your help.

Dec 31, 2019 6:42 AM in response to Tesserax

Thank you! You really have been a good guide for me.

I have stayed away from the new MBA and the new iPad for a while partly due to Christmas and I just wanted to take a break from them.

After migrating the first computer's data into the external hard drive and then into the new MBA, I did encounter some horrible problems. Strange messages saying I had incompatibilities and to put in my password so the computer could fix them but I was just in a loop. Reboots didn't work. I just kept clicking on 'cancel' and it went away. I must have lots of problems with this download.

I have lost my pictures. After seeing that I just closed it up and put it on the shelf. I went back to the old computer.

I'll get back to it after the 1st and pray to be able to correct what is wrong.

Migrating data to new MacBook Air from old one.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.