Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

battery health iPhone 6S 84%

My battery health has stayed steady at 84% for the last year and a half. The display says 84%. But the battery will go from 100% charged to 70% charged in a few moments use. Maybe 15 or 20 minutes. And it can recharge back up to 100% in a fairly short time as well. When it was new, it took upward of 3 hours to recharge from about 10% to 100%. I think that possibly the Battery Health is deliberately stuck at 84% without actually measuring anything. What do others think?

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 13

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 9:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 9:40 AM

Never heard that behavior.

But... 84% is close to 80% (the suggested limit percentage to replace the battery)... and when the battery is reaching the critical point of its life, it might have sudden / unpredictable behaviors.

I would make a full backup of your device then have your battery replaced at an Apple Store or Authorized Service Provider.

Regards

Giulio

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2019 9:40 AM in response to Gil Woolley

Never heard that behavior.

But... 84% is close to 80% (the suggested limit percentage to replace the battery)... and when the battery is reaching the critical point of its life, it might have sudden / unpredictable behaviors.

I would make a full backup of your device then have your battery replaced at an Apple Store or Authorized Service Provider.

Regards

Giulio

Nov 21, 2019 6:16 PM in response to Gil Woolley

I wouldn’t say it’s phony, but it’s not real time. The only real time reading I know of is from a Mac program called coconutBattery.

https://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

It provides what the developer calls a “defensive” reading which varies at different readingS but overall follows a trend. It also provides the cycle count recorded on the onboard battery diagnostics, and as far as I know the only other way to read the cycle count is through an official Apple diagnostic. I got that with my battery replacement service, and when it was complete the Apple Store employee saw stream of data on his iPad Mini and then authorized the battery replacement.

My last iOS Battery Health reading is 99%. I’m kind of skeptical, but coconutBattery last said it was 98.0% at about 176 cycles. For whatever reason (and I’ve done nothing special) his battery isn’t losing much capacity.

Can’t be too sure what’s the issue with your battery where it’s stuck at 84%, but you could have replaced it during the $29 promotion. My wife got a new battery for her 6s Plus, and it was showing Battery Health at 83%. You could still get it replaced now, but it’s $49.

Nov 21, 2019 11:12 AM in response to Gil Woolley

I would say the number isn't updated in real time. I've seen Battery Health jump rapidly (like 94% to 88% in less than a week), suggesting a correction. It's also only an estimate so the way the estimate is done can be inconsistent.

If you're seeing something like that, it's easy enough to get a replacement battery.

Nov 21, 2019 4:09 PM in response to ProustGiulio

I started paying attention the the Battery Health number a year and a half ago while the special price of $29 to replace the battery was in effect. I naively expected that the number would continue to drop below 84% with continued usage. Instead, every time I look at the number, it is 84%. Well, I saw no reason to replace the battery while it. was still in the usable region. I thought that eventually, it would start to drop. My observation is that actual discharge time and recharge time have reduced now to a dramatic extent but Battery Health is glued in place at 84%. Based upon a sample of one, I think that Battery Health is phony. I certainly use the iPhone a lot and know that batteries should degrade with time. I simply cannot believe that my actual battery health has remained constant for this long a time.

Nov 21, 2019 9:18 PM in response to y_p_w

Thanks very much for the tip about CoconutBattery3. That shows full charge capacity at 1989 mAh compared to a design capacity of 2750 mAh. They calculate that at 71.6% of design capacity.

Since my practical results now are that the iPhone both discharges more rapidly and recharges more rapidly, that the original capacity considerably exceeded the design capacity of 2750 mAh. If I were the battery manufacturer, I would engineer things so that every single battery we shipped out the door would exceed and many would considerably exceed the design capacity. That would have led to very slow discharge and also very slow recharge time.

There is probably a constant current circuit feeding the battery and putting a constant current into a high capacity battery would take a long time to recharge and I would also see a long time to discharge. Now with actual capacity decreased to 71.6% of design capacity, I am seeing much faster discharge and recharge times.

Thanks very much for the helpful clue. I don't really mind paying $49 instead of $29 because I've gotten another year and a half out of the original battery. Hope the new one will also considerably exceed the design capacity. Off to the Apple Store.

Nov 22, 2019 8:50 AM in response to Gil Woolley

Are you sure that's a 6s? A 6s has a battery capacity of 1715 mAh, while a 6s Plus has a battery capacity of 2750 mAh. Never mind - I see it in your sig on your original post.

As far as defining battery capacity goes, that's really a balancing act. Most lithium rechargeable batteries are "overprovisioned" such that it could be safe to use more of the charge range, but where doing do would likely increase how fast it loses capacity. Apple is already doing that to some extent. Going higher or lower into the charge range will affect battery decline. There are some battery systems (like hybrid cars) that might use half of the charge range and where they can literally go tens of thousands of equivalent full cycles by avoiding the high and low charge range.

Apple doesn't really put a constant current into any phone. It's variable, but may be different depending on the power supply. It's supposed to be able to charge at a higher rate up to about 70% charge and then will back off to prevent the battery from overheating, which would increase battery wear. Also - most lithium rechargeable battery systems will stop charging the battery once it's completely charged, and then wait for the charge level to drop to a certain point before starting to charge again. Trying to constantly "top off" the charge of a lithium rechargeable battery is a sure way to reduce the longevity. With 6s Plus, I believe the maximum current it will accept is 2.1A. That's what a newer Mac will provide and a little less than what a newer iPad power adapter will put out. If you're using the 5W (1A) adapter that came with your iPhone, that's going to limit the charge rate during the initial charge, but probably wouldn't during the upper charge range where the charging circuits will typically reduce the current.

Dec 5, 2019 10:33 AM in response to y_p_w

I had the battery replaced in about 35 minutes at the Westgate Apple store for the $49 price plus tax. Now Battery Health reports 100%. CoconutBattery3 shows design capacity of 2750 mAh and measures 2796 mAh or 101.7% of design capacity. The unit takes considerably longer to charge and will run all day on about 80% charge at the start. That is a vast improvement in the performance that I perceive. As you see below, Coconut3Battery previously report 1989 mAh capacity so I've apparently paid for an improvement of 41% versus what Battery Health would suggest an improvement of 17.7%. I think my user experience is much more in line with CoconutBattery3 than Battery Health. I'm a happy camper.

battery health iPhone 6S 84%

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.