Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 6s battery performance vs health

iPhone 6s battery (still on iOS 13.4.1) has been performing poorly for a month now but battery health setting still states 89% of maximum capacity. The on-screen battery % charge drops quickly with normal use of various apps in 2-5% spurts and eventually reaches 1% but then weirdly stays at 1% for quite some time. The battery is 2.5 years old and has 377 load cycles. What gets me is when I now use the CoconutBattery app, which was very much coinciding with the iOS battery health until last month when I noticed the drop in performance, to check the status it tells me now that my battery health is at 41% which actually seems more accurate. I tried recalibrating the battery but nothing changes. Apple states that after 500 load cycles the battery should be still around 80% which is sufficient for normal operation.

So it seems that the battery charge level and battery health meter are not aligned, any suggestions on how to calibrate the battery health settings? I also have received no notifications that my battery is performing poorly. Is there a way to reset the battery health monitor?

I guess I have to shell out $49 for a new battery.

iPhone 6s

Posted on Jun 20, 2020 9:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2020 2:08 PM

Make sure Apple does the replacement.

I recalibrated my 6S battery as follows

Run flat by leaving bright screen on with auto lock = never

Leave flat for 2 hours

Recharge all in one session and leave on charge for 2 hours beyond 100%

Remove plug and immediately force restart (side power button and home button held until apple logo then release)

My battery is 85% and no running problems, stays on standby on wifi for 4 to 5 days

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2020 2:08 PM in response to Timbuktu

Make sure Apple does the replacement.

I recalibrated my 6S battery as follows

Run flat by leaving bright screen on with auto lock = never

Leave flat for 2 hours

Recharge all in one session and leave on charge for 2 hours beyond 100%

Remove plug and immediately force restart (side power button and home button held until apple logo then release)

My battery is 85% and no running problems, stays on standby on wifi for 4 to 5 days

Jun 23, 2020 12:57 AM in response to Timbuktu

I tend to use the Mac for updates because

• it applies a full copy rather than a patch so less likely to be corrupted.
  • You need to backup before an update so in my case it is already connected to the Mac
  • I can use the iphone hotspot in USB as the internet for reasons of limited wifi but that is unusual.

It can take a bit longer though.

Jun 22, 2020 9:45 PM in response to LD150

I followed your recalibration directions and the battery indicator now works as expected and shows the proper charge percent. Weirdly enough Coconut battery now also shows 87% of maximum left (still 89% in battery health monitor). Problem solved, thank you Peter Watt!

Since I have started using my phone to download and install iOS updates I seem to have more battery issues displaying the correct battery status right after the upgrade. Recently I read somewhere that using iTunes and now Music App ensures less issues with corrupted installs and battery drain. Can you confirm this?

iphone 6s battery performance vs health

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.