You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk utility showing two volumes on ssd

I'm in the process of doing a clean install of catalina. I booted from my USB install disk and erased the startup volume. When I go to install Catalina I am given a choice of two startup volumes, one a mirror image of the other. I'm attaching photos of how this looks. I'm not sure how big an issue this is but before I proceed I'd like to understand what I am looking at. Thanks.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 11:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 1:01 PM

I booted from my USB install disk and erased the startup volume.

It looks to be an incomplete initialization of the parent drive.

From your bootable installer> Disk Utility>View>Show All Devices> reformat the parent drive as GUID/apfs

and try again your install.

To keep the confusion down—let the installer rename the drive as it see fit. You should end up with:

Macintosh HD

Macintosh HD - Data

ex.

You can read more on the two volumes created after a successful Catalina installation.

ref: https://bombich.com/kb/ccc5/working-apfs-volume-groups

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 21, 2019 1:01 PM in response to marby

I booted from my USB install disk and erased the startup volume.

It looks to be an incomplete initialization of the parent drive.

From your bootable installer> Disk Utility>View>Show All Devices> reformat the parent drive as GUID/apfs

and try again your install.

To keep the confusion down—let the installer rename the drive as it see fit. You should end up with:

Macintosh HD

Macintosh HD - Data

ex.

You can read more on the two volumes created after a successful Catalina installation.

ref: https://bombich.com/kb/ccc5/working-apfs-volume-groups

Nov 21, 2019 12:47 PM in response to marby

Hi marby,

What you are seeing is normal behavior. In MacOS Catalina, Apple created a read only partition for the operating system which is sepporate from your files for security reasons. There is a second partition for your data, called Macintosh HD - Data or in your case MacBook 2014 - Data.

You can read more about it in the article about the read only partition in MacOS Catalina.

I hope this helps.

Disk utility showing two volumes on ssd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.