Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPlay stopped working after upgrading from El Capitan to Mojave

I have a Late 2012 iMac 27 and a mid 2013 MBA. AirPlay used to work on both of these devices under El Capitan. I recently upgraded to Mojave (can't make the jump to Catalina yet, as I'm still dependent on a few 32-bit apps). I no longer am able to use AirPlay on either device.

If you go to System Preferences... Display... Display, there is a dropdown menu for Airplay Display but the only option is "Off." This support website seems to indicate this to mean the AIrPlay is not supported on these Macs: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204291

But I know that not to be true because I used to use AirPlay all the time under El Capitan. On both machines, the Mojave upgrade was a clean upgrade (make USB thumb drive installer, wipe drive, install from thumb drive, use Migration Assistant to restore accounts).

I also have a mid 2015 MBP15 running Mojave, and AirPlay doesn't work on that either.

Anyone know how to fix this?

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 6:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2019 12:00 PM

OK, a friend helped me figure this out. Apparently between El Capitan and Mojave, Apple changed the behavior of the AirPlay menu bar item. It used to always be present, but now it's only present if there's an AirPlay device available.

In my case, the mystery became: why do my Macs not think there's an AirPlay device available, so the following may or may not be useful.

In Terminal, typing this: dns-sd -B _services._dns-sd._udp

will show you a list of all the Bonjour services available on your network, including Apple TV and other AirPlay devices. For some weird reason my Apple TV did not show up. I then looked at my router's DHCP clients table, and I could see Apple TV there, and I could ping its IP address. And Apple TV was sending content (menus, etc) to the TV via HDMI. So it was on the network and appeared to be working, it just wasn't Bonjour'ing for some reason. I punted and went to the Apple TV Setting menu item for Reset and Download and that fixed the problem. Apple TV showed up on Bonjour, and the Mojave machines could now see it and the menu bar icon for AirPlay showed up automatically.

Hopefully this information is helpful to somebody.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2019 12:00 PM in response to OBDave

OK, a friend helped me figure this out. Apparently between El Capitan and Mojave, Apple changed the behavior of the AirPlay menu bar item. It used to always be present, but now it's only present if there's an AirPlay device available.

In my case, the mystery became: why do my Macs not think there's an AirPlay device available, so the following may or may not be useful.

In Terminal, typing this: dns-sd -B _services._dns-sd._udp

will show you a list of all the Bonjour services available on your network, including Apple TV and other AirPlay devices. For some weird reason my Apple TV did not show up. I then looked at my router's DHCP clients table, and I could see Apple TV there, and I could ping its IP address. And Apple TV was sending content (menus, etc) to the TV via HDMI. So it was on the network and appeared to be working, it just wasn't Bonjour'ing for some reason. I punted and went to the Apple TV Setting menu item for Reset and Download and that fixed the problem. Apple TV showed up on Bonjour, and the Mojave machines could now see it and the menu bar icon for AirPlay showed up automatically.

Hopefully this information is helpful to somebody.

AirPlay stopped working after upgrading from El Capitan to Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.