📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Learn about all the features, apps, and settings to get the most from the Apple Watch and Apple Watch Ultra

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use 2 different carriers for my iPhone and Watch?

i have a iPhone with T mobile and just received a new Apple Watch 5 from my dad but it’s through AT&T and he is paying monthly for it so my question is can I use 2 different carriers or do I need to move my phone to AT&T?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple Watch Series 5, watchOS 6

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 11:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2019 11:35 AM

Clarification. The Apple Watch should work with your T-Mobile iPhone after your father discontinues the service with AT&T, follows these instructions for resetting the Apple Watch

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Apple Watch, or buy one from someone else

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208855

Then you arrange for T-Mobile to add the Apple Watch to your iPhone plan. After you do that, the Apple Watch will share your iPhone's phone number and T-Mobile will add $10 to your montly iPhone bill.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 22, 2019 11:35 AM in response to shyann30144

Clarification. The Apple Watch should work with your T-Mobile iPhone after your father discontinues the service with AT&T, follows these instructions for resetting the Apple Watch

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Apple Watch, or buy one from someone else

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208855

Then you arrange for T-Mobile to add the Apple Watch to your iPhone plan. After you do that, the Apple Watch will share your iPhone's phone number and T-Mobile will add $10 to your montly iPhone bill.

Nov 23, 2019 7:15 AM in response to shyann30144

So if I understand correctly, you have paired the Apple Watch to your iPhone, but have not activated the cellular service yet.

You Dad is paying AT&T $10 a month for a service he is not using on an Apple Watch he is not using.

I would have tou Dad cancel the Apple Watch part of his bill.

You then contact T-Mobile and see about enabling the Apple Watch cellular via your iPhone.

If you Dad wants to donate the $10 per month he is saving when he stops paying it to AT&T, all the better for you 😀

Nov 22, 2019 5:25 PM in response to shyann30144

If you Dad is paying for the Apple Watch, then it is paired to his iPhone.

To transfer the Apple Watch to your iPhone, your Dad has to discontinue his AT&T Apple Watch service, then he has to prepare the Apple Watch to gift it to you using the above instructions I provided above.

At that point the Apple Watch can be paired to another iPhone, and that iPhone (since you appear to be in the U.S.) can be using Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile or Sprint.

These carriers may requires that you use a limited number of iPhone plans to pair an Apple Watch to your iPhone. As you currently use T-Mobile you could ask them what kind of plan you need to use in order to pair an Apple Watch.

If you want to move your iPhone to AT&T, then it would be a new account for your iPhone, or if your Dad has a family plan, perhaps added to his plan as a new line, then you can add the Apple Watch to your iPhone.

Can I use 2 different carriers for my iPhone and Watch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.