Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone recovery mode solved my problem, but why?

Today, my phone was stuck in a restart loop and it would never boot to the lock screen. I put my iPhone in Recovery mode, and selected in iTunes to update the phone's firmware, which didn't fix the problem and the phone was still in the endless boot loop. So, I put my iPhone in recovery mode AGAIN, and selected to do a restore in iTunes. The restore solved the problem. I would like to know how the restore fixed the boot problem, and what was the problem in the first place. To add more details, the endless boot loop started after I updated my iPhone to the latest version of iOS (it just kept on rebooting and rebooting after the update).

iPhone 6s Plus

Posted on Nov 22, 2019 2:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2019 3:19 PM

Hi,

Here's a thought: the iPhone is a computer, lots of 1s and 0s. It's not unthinkable that every once in a while, things go south and the 1s and 0s get mixed up.

Then, sometimes a forced restart will do the trick, and other times you will have to update the device via iTunes or the Finder in order to get it going again.

Now the difference is that with restore, you download a fresh iOS from Apple's server and you completely erase the device.

With update you keep all data and settings, as well as the user account. This might not always resolve the issue.

Also note, that in some cases, restoring the backup may reinstall the issue.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2019 3:19 PM in response to anonymous_person_1234

Hi,

Here's a thought: the iPhone is a computer, lots of 1s and 0s. It's not unthinkable that every once in a while, things go south and the 1s and 0s get mixed up.

Then, sometimes a forced restart will do the trick, and other times you will have to update the device via iTunes or the Finder in order to get it going again.

Now the difference is that with restore, you download a fresh iOS from Apple's server and you completely erase the device.

With update you keep all data and settings, as well as the user account. This might not always resolve the issue.

Also note, that in some cases, restoring the backup may reinstall the issue.

iPhone recovery mode solved my problem, but why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.