Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I batch convert hundreds of trusted doc files to docx?

Word 2011 lets you open one trusted doc file at a time ,,but only from the file menu. Then you can save it as docx. But for hundreds of files that takes hours. I can do the conversion on volumes running Snow Leopard, High Sierra, or Mojave. Does it make sense to open the files with Pages and then saving them as docx?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 22, 2019 8:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2019 4:25 AM

What do you mean by "trusted doc" file? One that is password protected? If so, you won't be able to automate it because every document will throw a password challenge, regardless of the conversion application.

If these .doc are not password protected, then use LibreOffice for the conversion from .doc to .docx — because LibreOffice is an MS Office clone, and has the best chance of replicating that .doc document content to .docx. Since Pages is not a Word clone, it attempts to translate that .doc document into Pages internal document format, and then translate it again on export to Word. Too much translation mayhem to expect an accurate transition from .doc to .docx.

I already have a script for batch conversion of documents using LibreOffice that has been used by another community member to successfully convert 3000 WordPerfect documents to .docx as an Automator application.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2019 4:25 AM in response to xenon129

What do you mean by "trusted doc" file? One that is password protected? If so, you won't be able to automate it because every document will throw a password challenge, regardless of the conversion application.

If these .doc are not password protected, then use LibreOffice for the conversion from .doc to .docx — because LibreOffice is an MS Office clone, and has the best chance of replicating that .doc document content to .docx. Since Pages is not a Word clone, it attempts to translate that .doc document into Pages internal document format, and then translate it again on export to Word. Too much translation mayhem to expect an accurate transition from .doc to .docx.

I already have a script for batch conversion of documents using LibreOffice that has been used by another community member to successfully convert 3000 WordPerfect documents to .docx as an Automator application.

Nov 23, 2019 6:37 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you so much, that is an excellent solution! I am 93, home user, and am losing my computer skills, such as they are. These are files of my recently deceased wife who used only her login password to protect her files. I had no problems converting s few single files. My daughter and I will go to work on the rest next week,

Xenon129

How do I batch convert hundreds of trusted doc files to docx?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.