Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay 2 multiroom connections inconsistent using Airport Express

I have found since the launch of Airplay 2 for iOS the connection is inconsistent taking 3 or 4 times to connect to my Airport Express’s. All devices are updated.

Posted on Nov 23, 2019 3:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2019 7:15 AM

LaPastenague wrote:

If it continues to be a problem then a factory reset and downgrade firmware is worthwhile.
I have been playing around with Express a bit lately and if you want stable operation take it back to 7.6.8 ..

That will be my last option. I am testing right now...so far good.

ince there is no other airport in the screenshot you are using a third party router. Not all of which handle airplay well.
If you give actual make and model of the router someone may have more experience.

I did the Airplay 2 update to my AE routers last January which is when I started using the standard to connect my iPad to my speakers. Before that I always and continue to used macOS without event. At that time I was using a Time Capsule and bridged the modem that is provided by my ISP provider. The inconsistent Airplay connections have been present since then. I stopped using the Time Capsule a few months ago favouring the ISP provided Technicolour router. I relegated the TimeCapsule to back up drive duties.

In short I believe the problems relate to Airplay 2, iOS and Airport Express. macOS remains stable. I am using Bose speakers with Airport Express routers attached to bring in Apple Music. Airplay 2 is expected to land on Bose speakers soon. So I may end up dropping my trusty Airport Express routers completely in the near future. Too bad, I have been using Airport Express, iTunes, Air Tunes and Airplay for many years.

Thanks for the very good tips.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2019 7:15 AM in response to LaPastenague

LaPastenague wrote:

If it continues to be a problem then a factory reset and downgrade firmware is worthwhile.
I have been playing around with Express a bit lately and if you want stable operation take it back to 7.6.8 ..

That will be my last option. I am testing right now...so far good.

ince there is no other airport in the screenshot you are using a third party router. Not all of which handle airplay well.
If you give actual make and model of the router someone may have more experience.

I did the Airplay 2 update to my AE routers last January which is when I started using the standard to connect my iPad to my speakers. Before that I always and continue to used macOS without event. At that time I was using a Time Capsule and bridged the modem that is provided by my ISP provider. The inconsistent Airplay connections have been present since then. I stopped using the Time Capsule a few months ago favouring the ISP provided Technicolour router. I relegated the TimeCapsule to back up drive duties.

In short I believe the problems relate to Airplay 2, iOS and Airport Express. macOS remains stable. I am using Bose speakers with Airport Express routers attached to bring in Apple Music. Airplay 2 is expected to land on Bose speakers soon. So I may end up dropping my trusty Airport Express routers completely in the near future. Too bad, I have been using Airport Express, iTunes, Air Tunes and Airplay for many years.

Thanks for the very good tips.

Nov 24, 2019 6:57 AM in response to LaPastenague

LaPastenague wrote:

Did you go from a 7.6 firmware to 7.8 or 7.8 to 7.8.1 which was barely a bug fix?

Yes I followed this update path. Presently at 7.8.1

If you have gone from say 7.6.8 to 7.8.1 and nothing improved that is not the problem.

Perhaps give us a few more clues.. A screenshot from Airport utility in phone or Mac on the network showing the layout.

Particularly how the multiple Express are spread around. And how much signal you get in the location where you have issues connecting?
Are there better spots?

The problem is just connection. Once connected all is good. Network is good and reception is good. My SoundTouch speakers connect fine. macOS connects first time.

lder airports can now be 5 years old plus and using them by wireless is often difficult. Extend wireless can work poorly. You might do better with a different brand main router or even mesh system.. with the Express hard wired.

I have updated to iOS 13.2.3

lso what version iOS because the latest v13 does seem to be also having issues.
Doubtless homepods work great.. wonder why that is??

Connection to Apple TV has been seamless.

Thanks for the troubleshooting tips. Connection was quick this morning. One try. I will run the routers for a few days to see how things go.

My last option will be a factory reset.

Nov 23, 2019 11:42 PM in response to rickatk

Did you go from a 7.6 firmware to 7.8 or 7.8 to 7.8.1 which was barely a bug fix?

If you have gone from say 7.6.8 to 7.8.1 and nothing improved that is not the problem.

Perhaps give us a few more clues.. A screenshot from Airport utility in phone or Mac on the network showing the layout.

Particularly how the multiple Express are spread around. And how much signal you get in the location where you have issues connecting?

Are there better spots?

Older airports can now be 5 years old plus and using them by wireless is often difficult. Extend wireless can work poorly. You might do better with a different brand main router or even mesh system.. with the Express hard wired.

Also what version iOS because the latest v13 does seem to be also having issues.

Doubtless homepods work great.. wonder why that is??

Nov 24, 2019 11:45 AM in response to rickatk

Since there is no other airport in the screenshot you are using a third party router. Not all of which handle airplay well.

Airplay 2 multiroom connections inconsistent using Airport Express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.