Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay on Airport Express not visible to macbook pro M1

Hi,

My airport express's isn't available via AirPlay only on my MBP, whereas it is available to my Iphone (ios 15.7.1), 2020 ipad (os unknown). So the airport express is working and available on the network, however it's not visible on my MBP, even when both are on the same 2.4Ghz network. Any help would be greatly appreciated! And no, the article "If screen mirroring or streaming isn't working on your AirPlay-compatible device - Apple Support" did not help in this case

Airplay firmware version 7.8.1

MBP 16" 2021 OSX 12.1

Iphone SE iOS 15.7.1

Airport express 802.11n (1st gen)

Posted on Nov 14, 2022 11:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2022 10:11 AM

In order for the AIrPort Utility to "see" the base station, both mDNS & IPv6 protocols are used over your local network. IPv6 settings over the Internet are not required for this.

Double-check that your Mac is configured for IPv6 Link-local only. To do so, go to System Preferences > Network > Wi-Fi > Advanced > TCP/IP. Verify the IPv6 setting.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2022 10:11 AM in response to davecomm

In order for the AIrPort Utility to "see" the base station, both mDNS & IPv6 protocols are used over your local network. IPv6 settings over the Internet are not required for this.

Double-check that your Mac is configured for IPv6 Link-local only. To do so, go to System Preferences > Network > Wi-Fi > Advanced > TCP/IP. Verify the IPv6 setting.

Nov 14, 2022 6:12 PM in response to Tesserax

Hi,

It doesn't show up on the Mac anymore, though it has in the past.

I'm running the default MacOS X firewall, without any 3rd party firewalls. If I turn that off, I still won't see the AirPort Express. I can see other some other smartTVs via Airplay, but not the Airport Express. Downgrading to 7.6.1 or 7.6.9 seems to have no effect on visibility to the MBP. :/

Airplay on Airport Express not visible to macbook pro M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.