Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I upgraded my computer to the new operating 64 bit system and lost my ability to run microsoft office. How do I fix this problem at no cost to me? my Microsoft Office was fine before this.

I upgraded my computer to the new operating 64 bit system and lost my ability to run microsoft office. How do I fix this problem at no cost to me? my Microsoft Office was fine before this.

Posted on Nov 24, 2019 7:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2019 7:41 AM

If what you have (most likely) is Office 2011, the only free method to continue using it is to restore the backup you made before installing Catalina.

Office 2011 is 32 bit software and will not run in Catalina. No 32 bit apps will. That, and MS will never update Office 2011. All support for it was dropped over a year ago.

If you have other apps that require Catalina, then you have no choice but to replace your old version of Office.

1. Purchase the one-time cost, perpetual license Office 2019.
  2. Purchase the monthly/yearly subscription Office 365.
  3. Use Apple's free similar apps, Pages, Numbers and Keynote (they're not very good at correctly reading in Office files).
  4. Try a free alternative suite such as LibreOffice or OpenOffice. Note that neither of these has a replacement for Outlook.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2019 7:41 AM in response to FAZER1969

If what you have (most likely) is Office 2011, the only free method to continue using it is to restore the backup you made before installing Catalina.

Office 2011 is 32 bit software and will not run in Catalina. No 32 bit apps will. That, and MS will never update Office 2011. All support for it was dropped over a year ago.

If you have other apps that require Catalina, then you have no choice but to replace your old version of Office.

1. Purchase the one-time cost, perpetual license Office 2019.
  2. Purchase the monthly/yearly subscription Office 365.
  3. Use Apple's free similar apps, Pages, Numbers and Keynote (they're not very good at correctly reading in Office files).
  4. Try a free alternative suite such as LibreOffice or OpenOffice. Note that neither of these has a replacement for Outlook.

Nov 24, 2019 7:40 AM in response to FAZER1969

All Macs and their operating systems have been 64 bit for ten years or more.

If your Microsoft Office is 32bit it will not open in macOS Catalina, so you will need to

buy a 64bit version of Office. You should have done your research before upgrading.

If you want a free app similar to Office try LibreOffice.

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.