Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers and File Permissions

Running Catalina (10.15) and Numbers (6.2.1). The wife created a Numbers file under her ID. We moved the file to the "Shared" folder so we could both access it. Permissions are Owner R/W, Group R/W, Everyone R/W. When I open the file under my ID and try to save it Numbers says I don't have permissions to update the file. This doesn't make sense as the file is in a shared folder with basically open permissions (rwxrwxrwt) and the file has permissions of rwxrwxrwx. Both our IDs are in the ADMIN and STAFF groups. No unix reason we shouldn't be able to both access and update the file. What's up with Numbers and permissions?

Posted on Nov 24, 2019 9:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2019 6:58 AM

Thanks for the reply... I understand I can share via iCloud assuming I’m on the internet. I live off grid, very remotely, so that’s not always the case. The underlying issue is how Mac OSX is moving away from standard Unix permissions for many things. If I have a “shared” folder on a hard drive and I’ve set permissions properly at the command line, I should be able to share files and manage them myself. Turns out Apple is doing “interesting” things with Unix permissions. Not a big deal, but definitely and irritant. Anyway, thanks again...

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2019 6:58 AM in response to Wayne Contello

Thanks for the reply... I understand I can share via iCloud assuming I’m on the internet. I live off grid, very remotely, so that’s not always the case. The underlying issue is how Mac OSX is moving away from standard Unix permissions for many things. If I have a “shared” folder on a hard drive and I’ve set permissions properly at the command line, I should be able to share files and manage them myself. Turns out Apple is doing “interesting” things with Unix permissions. Not a big deal, but definitely and irritant. Anyway, thanks again...

Nov 25, 2019 6:41 AM in response to MadMacks

I think if one of you opens the file and leaves the file open, then the file will not be accessible to the other person. Your best option is to share the file using the collaborate button:

Then you can both have the file open

Your other option is to close the file when you are done using the file to leave it available for another user to access

Numbers and File Permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.