Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Swollen iPhone battery

This problem was reported before but Apple customer service are so bad. I have an iPhone X that I use as a back-up phone. It is almost new. I noticed this morning a bulging screen and the screen came off the body of the phone. I took it to an apple repair store who discussed with Apple service that refused to repair or exchange. I then phoned apple service 4 times and every time they passed me on a supervisor who put me on hold for 30 minutes (2 hours in total). I still have a swollen battery that heats and I take 2 flights a week. I am not sure if I should tell the airline. I dont know who to contact so that Apple repairs or exchanges my phone. I heard it is dangerous to use a phone with a swollen battery even if everything functions well. The repair shop told me clearly that the phone is defective.

Any suggestions please. Thank you

iPhone X

Posted on Nov 25, 2019 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2019 10:00 AM

If the swelling is noticed, you likely won’t be able to take it with you at an airport past security. If Apple won’t replace it, then you’ll either need to see if someone else can try to replace the battery and repair it, or it should be recycled.

Similar questions

6 replies

Nov 25, 2019 11:00 AM in response to 1957alexnat

Batteries swell more or less randomly. I've personally only seen it once, in my 2007 MacBook, but the way the battery was attached meant that it swelled out and wasn't in contact with the logic board, keyboard, or trackpad. Apple had a replacement program where I could obtain a service replacement battery for less than the retail price, but it wasn't that much of a discount. Apple has had other cases where they repaired specific batteries, but those required a check of the battery manufacturing date.

It's just like anything else. If it happens during the warranty period, Apple will likely replace the entire device under warranty. Outside of that, it's treated as any other random failure.

Nov 25, 2019 10:38 PM in response to y_p_w

In Switzerland like all Europe, you have 2 year warranty. What I was told was that apple only warrants one year and the shop the 2nd year. The shop is saying that as the phone is defective it should be Apple. I wrote and phoned apple and got to supervisors and managers and they could not give me an answer. I am wondering what Apple would do if the phone injures someone? I feel it is not responsible and a typical cowboy attitude

Nov 25, 2019 11:23 PM in response to 1957alexnat

Interesting enough, I just received an email from the Apple service store. They would like to send the phone to Apple for an estimate. I suppose my 4 phone calls yesterday and 2 wasted hours may pay. I don’t mind paying for a battery replacement if I have to. Now I think Apple has become so notorious that they forgot what is customer service

Swollen iPhone battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.