Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computer can connect to an open SSID, but not establish an internet connection

I have a 2016 15.4" Touch Bar MacBook Pro running macOS 10.14.6 (fully updated) that sometimes cannot establish an internet connection with open SSIDs that require acquiescence of "conditions of service" (but no password) to establish the connection. Typically, the WiFi Chevron in the Menu Bar fills in with the SSID in question checked in the dropdown menu, but web pages will not open (especially the dialog to which I need to respond to continue), and all my email accounts in Mac Mail.app are displayed as offline.

The only way I've found to get past this is to restart the Mac.

This doesn't happen when I take my Mac from my home network to my work network or to many other secured networks that I've used repetitively, and the network that gives me troubles is one that I use at least weekly. In the WiFi menu it's listed as providing an 802.11(n) connection

Is there something I can change in System Preferences that I could change to avoid having to restart to use this open network?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Nov 25, 2019 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2019 8:48 AM

If your Mac doesn't connect to the Internet over Wi-Fi ...

See if that comes up with anything useful.

The purpose of captive.apple.com is to tell Safari you're using a Captive Network, something that iOS has been able to accomplish for years while macOS's ability improved only recently. It doesn't appear to be the problem in your case. If Safari is connected only the single word Success will appear.

Another thought: open Network Preferences and select your network interface (probably Wi-Fi). Under Advanced... select all the wireless networks that appear, every single one, and delete them. Then, reconnect to the wireless network you were just using. Select the "Remember networks this computer has joined" option assuming that's what you want to do.

The reason for that suggestion is that if there are large number of "preferred networks" Wireless Diagnostics will indicate that fact. That in itself should not be a problem, but Apple must have had a reason to include it.

The "Preferred Networks" list includes every wireless network that Mac has ever joined, in addition to every network all your other Apple devices has ever joined (if you use iCloud Keychain). If you travel a lot, that list can quickly grow to be large and unwieldy. Apple seems to believe that's a useful feature.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2019 8:48 AM in response to JimRobertson

The purpose of captive.apple.com is to tell Safari you're using a Captive Network, something that iOS has been able to accomplish for years while macOS's ability improved only recently. It doesn't appear to be the problem in your case. If Safari is connected only the single word Success will appear.

Another thought: open Network Preferences and select your network interface (probably Wi-Fi). Under Advanced... select all the wireless networks that appear, every single one, and delete them. Then, reconnect to the wireless network you were just using. Select the "Remember networks this computer has joined" option assuming that's what you want to do.

The reason for that suggestion is that if there are large number of "preferred networks" Wireless Diagnostics will indicate that fact. That in itself should not be a problem, but Apple must have had a reason to include it.

The "Preferred Networks" list includes every wireless network that Mac has ever joined, in addition to every network all your other Apple devices has ever joined (if you use iCloud Keychain). If you travel a lot, that list can quickly grow to be large and unwieldy. Apple seems to believe that's a useful feature.

Nov 27, 2019 5:34 PM in response to JimRobertson

Here are a few fundamental troubleshooting steps that may help. Some of the information will be redundant but review everything to determine if there is something you may have overlooked.

If you don't get anywhere, you can use the following procedure to determine if the problem is internal or external to your Mac. Causes may involve your router, your ISP, the DNS Server(s) it uses, or certain user-configurable options.

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Load macOS Recovery by holding and r (two fingers) while you start your Mac with a third finger.
  3. At the macOS Utilities screen, release those two fingers.
  4. Choose Get Help Online.
  5. Safari will launch, but it will lack your bookmarks, favorites, history and other preferences.

Determine if the problem persists while using Safari in that mode. After that, restart your Mac normally, and reply with your observations.

Nov 28, 2019 9:25 AM in response to John Galt

John Galt wrote:

Actually, that IS what happens, but that's ALL that happens. Is the side-trip to an apple server supposed to somehow compel Safari to cough up the acknowledgement dialog?

I'll read your suggested article. Thanks so much for that.

By the way, since I have your attention, perhaps you can help me understand the User Communities interface a bit better. I tried to post a link to a web article discussing captive.apple.com written by Glenn Fleishman for Macworld online Clicking the "link" icon in the toolbar below the text entry window creates a space in the toolbar to enter the character string of the URL, but once that's finished it's entirely opaque to me what I'm supposed to do next. I tried clicking "post," which of course merely sent my message to the User Communities without the URL I'd entered. Is there an FAQ page for the user support communities that might address this?

Nov 27, 2019 1:04 PM in response to John Galt

I'm now on the network where I need to restart in order to obtain an internet connection. I typed captive.apple.com in the browser address bar and still get the "you're not on the internet" blank page, but if I reboot, I can connect.

Again, my laptop "sees" the local SSID and seems to connect to it (filled in Menu Bar chevron), but I need to reboot to establish the internet connection.

I was not clear why or how entering captive.apple.com in the address bar of my Safari browser was supposed to help, but it didn't.

Thanks so much,

Jim Robertson

Nov 28, 2019 8:22 AM in response to John Galt

John Galt wrote:

Here are a few fundamental troubleshooting steps that may help. Some of the information will be redundant but review everything to determine if there is something you may have overlooked.

Thanks for your suggestions, but my issue is quite limited and specific. For as long as I've owned my current (and perhaps even earlier) MacBook Pro(s) I've encountered occasional open WiFi networks where the laptop can SEE (and mate to) its SSID but not complete connection to the internet. For the particular network where this has happened repetitively, recently, acknowledging the network provider's conditions of usage in a browser dialog has been required, but Safari doesn't post that dialog to the screen unless I restart the Mac before trying to reach the SSID in question.

I don't know whether every open network I try to reach produces the same obstacles, but I think not. When I was working, I needed to access at least a half-dozen secured WiFi networks, and (once I configured my username and PW), I never had such difficulties with those transitions from my home or my own work WiFi networks.

And, the routine of rebooting the Mac in order to make Safari "cough up" the acknowledgement dialog that seems to be the "price of admission" for internet access doesn't complicate my computer's ability to locate and connect to my own or other secured SSIDs for which I have stored credentials.

As I've noted in an earlier thread message, I thought perhaps John Galt was on to something with his suggestion that I type "captive.apple.com" in the address bar, given that he said so doing addressed a longstanding problem with macOS and open networks, but that didn't help, and of course I don't know any reason why a side trip to an Apple domain server would facilitate a trip to a local hospital's WiFi network. Still, John may be on to the reason for the problem, and one of Macworld's editors, Glenn Fleishman, describes the issue in a manner even I can understand:

And, to address dot.com's question, yes, my WiFi IPv4 configuration is set to "automatic."

Nov 28, 2019 8:30 AM in response to JimRobertson

Sorry, when I attempted to add a link to Glenn Fleishman's article by using the "link insertion" icon in the toolbar window below the composition area, the interface posted my response without the link. Here it is

<https://www.macworld.com/article/3241896/can-you-free-yourself-from-captiveapplecom.html>

There are other articles retrieved by the same web search, and Glenn's Article suggests that iOS devices may be bedeviled by the same "trick" used by the host WiFi network provider to compel users to acknowledge usage conditions. In my case, my iOS devices don't have the same issue with the network in question, perhaps because the iOS network interface engineers are "smarter" than the macOS network engineers (to borrow from an ancient Julian Bond SNL skit about IQ tests). I have no idea, but I'll read some more and see if I come up with something useful. If so, I'll post another response here, but my next encounter with the open SSID in question won't be for at least another two weeks.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Nov 28, 2019 10:45 AM in response to JimRobertson

The captive.apple.com URL is an attempt to force Safari into loading a captive network that would otherwise result in a “can’t connect to server” message. I think it’s a dead end in your circumstance, and as I wrote I have reason to believe Apple solved macOS Safari’s problems with captive networks a while ago.

To post text containing a clickable URL, select the text, use the “link” icon to paste the actual URL, then (important) hit the Return key to complete its entry. It’s not exactly intuitive.

Dec 2, 2019 5:29 AM in response to John Galt

John Galt wrote:

The captive.apple.com URL is an attempt to force Safari into loading a captive network that would otherwise result in a “can’t connect to server” message. I think it’s a dead end in your circumstance, and as I wrote I have reason to believe Apple solved macOS Safari’s problems with captive networks a while ago.

To post text containing a clickable URL, select the text, use the “link” icon to paste the actual URL, then (important) hit the Return key to complete its entry. It’s not exactly intuitive.

I think I may have stumbled into a solution.

I had my Network>WiFi pane in System Preferences set to "join this network automatically," and, at least at the hardware layer, that is what was happening. My laptop and the hospital network established a connection, but my Safari browser didn't open a non-modal dialog asking me to acknowledge the hospital's network managers' terms for using that connection for internet access, and somehow, rebooting the Mac somehow caused Safari to do so.

I spent this weekend visiting my son in another community. His home network, like mine is encrypted and requires a WPA2 PW provided to me by him in order to obtain a connection to the SSID, but my laptop and my iOS devices provide those when I arrive at his house. However, the network at my hotel (New hotel with 802.11ac 5g available to guests) is open, with a requirement that guests put their room number and last name into a non-modal dialog to obtain network access. Although I've used that network many times during previous visits, it too requires me to reboot in order to see that dialog via my Safari browser. So, while connected to the hotel's network yesterday, I toggled "join this network automatically" to "off" in System Prefs, then used my son's network at his house. When I came back to the hotel, my laptop did not auto-select the hotel's SSID, but when I did so manually, the result was both joining the SSID and internet access from Safari and my email app!

I'll see if I get the same result the next time I use the open network in the hospital near home.

I used to have a Windows VM on this computer, and I guess it would be interesting to see if using it obviates the issue, but I no longer use that. I can test with another browser not developed primarily with the Mac in mind (I have Chrome and the Opera browser. Because I cannot demonstrate the problem unless I disconnect from the open network and then connect to a secured network before returning to the open network, I won't be able to do such testing until the next time I'm asked to connect to the open network near home.

Jim Robertson

Dec 2, 2019 5:58 AM in response to JimRobertson

So, while connected to the hotel's network yesterday, I toggled "join this network automatically" to "off" in System Prefs, then used my son's network at his house. When I came back to the hotel, my laptop did not auto-select the hotel's SSID, but when I did so manually, the result was both joining the SSID and internet access from Safari and my email app!

Thanks for that comprehensive description Jim!

It's very similar to problems I encountered using iPhones on certain (very few) open networks that nevertheless refuse to establish an Internet connection unless I toggle that exact parameter in iOS's Settings. Some networks connect automatically, some don't. The facility management are typically clueless so attempting to determine the reason and correct it is impracticable.

In my opinion their insistence upon accepting "terms and conditions" as a condition of permitting Internet access is an utterly needless hindrance that conveys exactly no value and protects no one. Those Terms generally explain the user is prohibited from doing anything illegal with their service, but isn't that assumed? If you're planning to do something illegal checking a box on some webpage isn't going to stop you.

Anyway that's getting off topic and I'm not about to change the world on my own. Glad you sorted it out.

Computer can connect to an open SSID, but not establish an internet connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.