Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do any of the Apple TV Channels require a Cable TV service subscription? If so, which channels?

Do any of the Apple TV Channels require a Cable TV service subscription? If so, which channels?

I want Apple TV for my Smart TV and my iPhones and iPad.

Apple TV 4, tvOS 12

Posted on Nov 25, 2019 4:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2019 8:29 AM

DirecTV Now (now renamed AT&T TV Now) has an app for the Apple TV set-top box. You would need to subscribe to that to get access to their content.

You do not have to subscribe to Apple TV to use the Apple TV set-top box.

You would have to subscribe to Apple TV+ to see the special Apple TV+ shows.

3 replies

Nov 25, 2019 4:43 PM in response to TMac9167

The in-app Channels inside the Apple TV App do not require a cable subscription, nor can they work with that. These would require separate subscriptions, as started within the Apple TV App.

Apple TV Channels FAQ: Services, pricing, availability, and everything else you need to know - Macworld.com

Subscribe to Apple TV channels in the Apple TV app - Apple Support

Channels that are part of a cable subscription package would need their own app, even if they can be linked through the Apple TV App.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.