Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Export

I've exported an mp4 file to my desktop. Received a message that the export was complete. But can't open the file in Quicktime. The thumbnail of the file will play though (not very useful). Now can't even delete the file from the desktop

Using iMovie 10.1.13, OS 10.15.1

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 25, 2019 10:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2019 1:14 PM

Thank you Rich. Discovered late this morning a simple reboot fixed the issue. Movie now plays and was able to delete the extra files off the desktop. To answer your question about deleting in case it happens to someone else, I could drag it into trash, get the audible alert, but the trash can remained empty, and the files remained on the desktop. Not just my movie, but other files I was experimenting with I no longer needed. Anyway, thanks for the response.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2019 1:14 PM in response to Rich839

Thank you Rich. Discovered late this morning a simple reboot fixed the issue. Movie now plays and was able to delete the extra files off the desktop. To answer your question about deleting in case it happens to someone else, I could drag it into trash, get the audible alert, but the trash can remained empty, and the files remained on the desktop. Not just my movie, but other files I was experimenting with I no longer needed. Anyway, thanks for the response.

Nov 26, 2019 9:01 AM in response to CADMonkey12

Your Quicktime version must be at least Quicktime 10, not Quicktime 7, to work with Catalina. So check out which version your are using.

As for deleting a movie from your desktop, are you saying that you cannot drag it into the trash and empty the trash? If so, try booting up in Safe Mode (see Finder Help menu for instructions) and, after everything loads, reboot in normal mode. See if that cures it.

-- Rich

iMovie Export

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.