Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hosts file on catalina not working

I modified my hosts file on macos catalina (etc/hosts end private/etc/hosts) but it doesn't seem to do its duty.

After adding specific IP addresses, the ping always returns me to the original IPs. Even after reboot and flush. Any solution to this problem? I also disabled SIP.

Thanks for you help

mario

Powerbook

Posted on Nov 26, 2019 3:14 AM

12 replies

Jan 16, 2020 11:25 PM in response to mdirenzo

NOT SOLVED

Hello, the problem is still present and it creates several problems for me. I try to explain better what I should do: I develop websites and, often, I have to develop a site on my server before the DNS have been changed, this is because first it is advisable to have the site functioning and then turn the DNS, to don't lose traffic. So my hosts file (/ private / etc / hosts and / etc / hosts - the same directory) has two lines of this type:

#NEW SERVER

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx domain.yy

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx www.domain.yy

where yy is the top level (.it, .com, ...) and xxx the IP address of the server.

With Catalina this has no effect, before it worked. For now I am using a VM with linux and I can log in but it is very uncomfortable (and slow). What has been done with the hosts file, has Apple decided to change a feature that is universal for all OSs ???

thank you

Jan 16, 2020 11:26 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

NOT SOLVED

Hello, the problem is still present and it creates several problems for me. I try to explain better what I should do: I develop websites and, often, I have to develop a site on my server before the DNS have been changed, this is because first it is advisable to have the site functioning and then turn the DNS, to don't lose traffic. So my hosts file (/ private / etc / hosts and / etc / hosts - the same directory) has two lines of this type:

#NEW SERVER

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx domain.yy

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx www.domain.yy

where yy is the top level (.it, .com, ...) and xxx the IP address of the server.

With Catalina this has no effect, before it worked. For now I am using a VM with linux and I can log in but it is very uncomfortable (and slow). What has been done with the hosts file, has Apple decided to change a feature that is universal for all OSs ???

thank you

hosts file on catalina not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.