Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems on windows 10 bootcamp

Hi everyone, I have windows 10 installed on an external drive on my MacBook Pro 2019. Although I have installed the bootcamp drivers on windows, there are some issues:

• windows is convinced that the Mac is charging (it actually is not), so it boosts the performances, resulting in a very short duration of the battery
  • I cannot control the brightness of the screen: when I use the function keys/touchbar, it shows me the brightness control, but nothing happens.

What should I do?

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 26, 2019 12:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2019 4:36 PM

Loner T wrote:

• Is it the same Mac Model as yours?
• Are the physical connections the same between the two Macs? TB3 and USBc connections behave differently. If you have any intervening hubs/devices, they can make a difference, too.

they are different models, that explains everything. Anyway, few hours ago I tried again with win10 and everything was fixed. I don't know why or how, but both brightness and charging icon worked perfectly.

By the way, thank a lot for your help

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2019 4:36 PM in response to Loner T

Loner T wrote:

• Are the physical connections the same between the two Macs? TB3 and USBc connections behave differently. If you have any intervening hubs/devices, they can make a difference, too.

they are different models, that explains everything. Anyway, few hours ago I tried again with win10 and everything was fixed. I don't know why or how, but both brightness and charging icon worked perfectly.

By the way, thank a lot for your help

Nov 27, 2019 3:56 AM in response to luigi_16

luigi_16 wrote:

So I will never be able to control the brightness of the screen, even from the computer settings?

I had to press the Brightness keys 10-12 times for Windows to respond.

And it will never understand that I'm not charging it?

For the external storage running Windows, the power source is the connection to the Mac.

As a test

• Reboot into macOS from the internal disk
  • Disconnect the Windows external storage
  • Install Windows on the internal disk
  • Test your Battery is properly recognized and indicates charging when the adapter is connected

Is there a specific reason you want Windows running on the external disk?

Nov 27, 2019 5:26 AM in response to luigi_16

luigi_16 wrote:

A friend of mine has windows on an external ssd (on a MacBook Air) and his Mac does not think it's charging. How is this possible?
  • Run a SMC and NVRAM Reset and test the Battery charging indicator.

Nov 27, 2019 4:38 AM in response to Loner T

Is there a specific reason you want Windows running on the external disk?

I want windows on the external drive because I don't have enough space on the internal disk. A friend of mine has windows on an external ssd (on a MacBook Air) and his Mac does not think it's charging. How is this possible?

I had to press the Brightness keys 10-12 times for Windows to respond.

I will try with the brightness keys as soon as I can.

Problems on windows 10 bootcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.