Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

using iTunes on one computer and Music on another - issue with iCloud Library

On my new MacBook Pro I am using Music under Catalina and on my older mini I am using iTunes under Mojave. Just started with Music today. I am getting an error:

Cloud Music Library

Genius results can't be updated because the iTunes Store doesn't recognize your music library.

They use the same Library stored in Dropbox.

Prior to the new laptop I was running Catalina and using Music on another MacBook Pro. When I got the new one I migrated everything form the old to the new. Music is just fine otherwise. But tonight I added a new album and when Music tried to update the iCloud Library I got the error.

Any insights/help? I post this in 'iTunes' as I can't find a 'Music' group/area.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Nov 26, 2019 6:59 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Nov 30, 2019 4:01 PM in response to turingtest2

First, I want to take the whole 'iTunes on Catalina' thing out of this discussion. As much as I am dependent on the iTunes Browser view I have decided to learn to live without, or until Apple rolls it into Music. iTunes on Catalina isn't perfect, especially one aspect that is, at least for me, broken - the Equalizer. So, forget that.

As for fixing the error I'd like to say that tt2's reply fixed it. It certainly answered the question about turning Genius off/on. His info should be included in the instructions. Sure, it might be intuitive for power users. Also I have decided to quit using Dropbox to sync my library so as to be available to my other computers. I can use the beta web access on the other machines. So I copied the Music folder from Dropbox to ~Music and dang if that didn't fix the need to muck with it. That is, when I fired up Music after moving the folder new things were synced to my iCloud Library as expected.

So, I never actually had to deal with Genius on/off, etc. I do not know if that would have fixed the original cause of the error. At least I now know if it should happen again.

Thank you, tt2.

using iTunes on one computer and Music on another - issue with iCloud Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.