Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Catalina 10.15.1 - Cannot file share between 2012 MacBook Air and 2018 iMac

I was able to file share via Mojave and previous macOS releases. Now, with Catalina, I cannot File Share. I have the same users, show the same permissions on my server iMac but get the following message on my MacBook Air when trying to access the iMac: "The operation can't be completed because the original item for "Documents" can't be found." This error occurs in Finder.

I've seen lots of issues noted on Catalina. Did Apple break this functionality?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 26, 2019 7:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2019 5:33 PM

Hi runek99,

It sounds like you're having some trouble setting up File Sharing, and I want to help.

Check out the steps here:

Set up file sharing on Mac - Apple Support

It might be that you previously had your volume set up to share via AFP. Because you can’t share Apple File System (APFS) volumes over Apple Filing Protocol (AFP), you'll want to ensure you have SMB shares set up instead.

Good luck!

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2019 5:33 PM in response to rdunek99

Hi runek99,

It sounds like you're having some trouble setting up File Sharing, and I want to help.

Check out the steps here:

Set up file sharing on Mac - Apple Support

It might be that you previously had your volume set up to share via AFP. Because you can’t share Apple File System (APFS) volumes over Apple Filing Protocol (AFP), you'll want to ensure you have SMB shares set up instead.

Good luck!

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

macOS Catalina 10.15.1 - Cannot file share between 2012 MacBook Air and 2018 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.