Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will the cellular be working in Sweden even if I bought the watch in the UK?

So..I wanted to purchase an Apple Watch series 5 with GPS&Cellular from the UK.

The watch is for my boyfriend who’s Swedish and he will be using it in Sweden.

My main question which I made both to the Apple Call Centre and at the Apple Store in the UK was whether the cellular will be working in Sweden even if I bought the watch in the UK.

Now..the Apple Call Centre reassured me that the cellular will be working absolutely fine in Sweden since Sweden has 4 different providers to support the cellular network. However, the guys at the Apple store stated that the cellular will not be working in Sweden and we would have to buy the watch in Sweden in order for the cellular to work there.

Now I’m just a confused consumer who was ready to purchase an Apple watch in the UK without the proper support of Apple.

Can someone please explain all this to me?

​[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Nov 27, 2019 6:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2019 6:51 AM

Apple Watch - Carriers - Apple (UK)

You could buy the GPS only and as long as he has his phone with him he can use the watch to call and text because it will be using his Swedish service provider that's on his phone.

3 replies

Nov 27, 2019 6:51 AM in response to Gina_F27

Cellular Apple Watches are region specific, yes. However, the U.K. model and the Swedish model are them same model, so, at least in theory, the watch should work with Swedish carriers.

See here: Apple Watch - Carriers - Apple

It will be up to the Swedish carriers to activate the watch with their service, however.

Note that the watch will not roam, that is, if used with a Swedish carrier, then when outside of Sweden, it will not connect to cell service, and will rely solely on the paired iPhone.

Nov 27, 2019 6:49 AM in response to Gina_F27

Watch GPS + Cellular model is best bought in the country where it will be used.

Because warranty & services are valid only in country of purchase.

Furthermore it needs to pair with at least an iPhone 6s or later model running iOS 13.x or later version.

The iPhone carrier must support the Watch's cellular part with iPhone number sharing.

Will the cellular be working in Sweden even if I bought the watch in the UK?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.