Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shuffling music

My "shuffle all" isn't working in my ipod touch. Any ideas why it play the same song over and over?

iPod, iOS 9

Posted on Nov 27, 2019 11:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2019 10:31 AM

This discussion gets my award for the most puzzling of the day. I have never, ever heard of the Repeat function called "loop". If your iPod is set to show English, the button would state Repeat, not "loop".

(I would expect a "loop" function to allow me to select a start and finish point within a song and for only that portion of the song to be played "in loop mode".)

The screenshot provided by zmclearan is unfamiliar to me, perhaps it's from a device running iOS 13 (which my iPod cannnot do).

If your iPod is running iOS 9, as suggested by your first post, the Now Playing screen probably looks more like the one shown below, although you will need to drag the screen upwards to see the additional controls below the volume bar and three-dot icon:

If the Shuffle or Repeat buttons are light grey, with red text, the function is off. But if a button is red, with white text, as shown above, the function is on. In this screenshot, both the Repeat and the Shuffle are on - but the Repeat button also has the small 1 in the arrows,* which means the iPod is in Repeat 1 mode. In Repeat 1 mode, the iPod will play the same song over and over, until you either:

• stop the player
  • manually select a different song (as you are currently doing)
  • turn off Repeat 1

Tap the Repeat button. It should turn light grey (which is off). Don't forget, each tap of the Repeat button cycles through the following sequence:

• Off
  • Repeat - when the current list finishes playing, the whole list will be repeated
  • Repeat 1 - the same song will play over and over
  • Off

Look at the three views above:

• Left picture - Shuffle on, Repeat off
  • Middle picture - Shuffle on, Repeat on
  • Right picture - Shuffle on, Repeat 1 on (in this mode, the iPod cannot "shuffle" to a different song)

* Edited by author after initial posting, for clarity

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2019 10:31 AM in response to huskiesfan522

This discussion gets my award for the most puzzling of the day. I have never, ever heard of the Repeat function called "loop". If your iPod is set to show English, the button would state Repeat, not "loop".

(I would expect a "loop" function to allow me to select a start and finish point within a song and for only that portion of the song to be played "in loop mode".)

The screenshot provided by zmclearan is unfamiliar to me, perhaps it's from a device running iOS 13 (which my iPod cannnot do).

If your iPod is running iOS 9, as suggested by your first post, the Now Playing screen probably looks more like the one shown below, although you will need to drag the screen upwards to see the additional controls below the volume bar and three-dot icon:

If the Shuffle or Repeat buttons are light grey, with red text, the function is off. But if a button is red, with white text, as shown above, the function is on. In this screenshot, both the Repeat and the Shuffle are on - but the Repeat button also has the small 1 in the arrows,* which means the iPod is in Repeat 1 mode. In Repeat 1 mode, the iPod will play the same song over and over, until you either:

• stop the player
  • manually select a different song (as you are currently doing)
  • turn off Repeat 1

Tap the Repeat button. It should turn light grey (which is off). Don't forget, each tap of the Repeat button cycles through the following sequence:

• Off
  • Repeat - when the current list finishes playing, the whole list will be repeated
  • Repeat 1 - the same song will play over and over
  • Off

Look at the three views above:

• Left picture - Shuffle on, Repeat off
  • Middle picture - Shuffle on, Repeat on
  • Right picture - Shuffle on, Repeat 1 on (in this mode, the iPod cannot "shuffle" to a different song)

* Edited by author after initial posting, for clarity

Shuffling music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.