Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm getting an "Erase process has failed" message. The details say: The volume "Macintosh HD" on disk2s5 couldn't be unmounted because it is in use by process 655 (kextcache)

I just received a used Mac Mini that had belonged to my aunt. I'm trying to erase it so that I can remove her stuff and set it up under my Apple ID. When I click Erase in Disk Utility the process stalls. It says, "Erase process has failed." Details say the following: Erasing "Macintosh HD" (disk2s5) and creating "Macintosh HD"

Then it says: Preparing to erase APFS Volume content

Checking mount state

The volume "Macintosh HD" on disk2s5 couldn't be unmounted because it is in use by process 655 (kextcache)

Couldn't unmount disk. : (-69888)

Operation failed...

Sigh. Now what? What did I do wrong, or what did I forget to do?

Mac mini, OS X 10.11

Posted on Nov 27, 2019 3:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2019 5:48 PM

Hello,

Are you starting up in recovery mode and attempting to erase it’s internal drive using the recovery mode Disk Utility? If so, are you erasing the root device rather then erasing the APFS volume?

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

If this still is not working then try preparing a macOS install drive using another Macintosh and attempt to reformat your new Mac mini’s internal drive.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2019 5:48 PM in response to OmniGlitter

Hello,

Are you starting up in recovery mode and attempting to erase it’s internal drive using the recovery mode Disk Utility? If so, are you erasing the root device rather then erasing the APFS volume?

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

If this still is not working then try preparing a macOS install drive using another Macintosh and attempt to reformat your new Mac mini’s internal drive.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

I'm getting an "Erase process has failed" message. The details say: The volume "Macintosh HD" on disk2s5 couldn't be unmounted because it is in use by process 655 (kextcache)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.