Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Long back up time/Use phone during back up

CAn you use your Iphone during back up?  Also, I have never backed up my Iphone 7 plus, it has been backing up for 4 hours and says it still has 5 hours to go. Is something wrong?

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Nov 28, 2019 9:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2019 10:05 AM

I often use my iPhone and/or iPad while backing up without even realizing that the devices were backing up. If they are plugged into to charge and you want to use them while charging, it can happen without knowing it. Plus, on occasion, I imitate an iCloud backup while not charging just because I want to backup right them and there.

It really shouldn’t take more than a couple of hours to backup unless you have an extraordinarily large amount of content to backup. However, since you have never backed up and if you have copious amounts of data to backup, it may be expected to take that long.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2019 10:05 AM in response to OS_FFTT

I often use my iPhone and/or iPad while backing up without even realizing that the devices were backing up. If they are plugged into to charge and you want to use them while charging, it can happen without knowing it. Plus, on occasion, I imitate an iCloud backup while not charging just because I want to backup right them and there.

It really shouldn’t take more than a couple of hours to backup unless you have an extraordinarily large amount of content to backup. However, since you have never backed up and if you have copious amounts of data to backup, it may be expected to take that long.

Long back up time/Use phone during back up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.