Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to resolve a corrupted iCloud account

After upgrading a MB air 2014 from 10.9 to 10.13 system prefs will not let me log back into iCloud - constantly rejecting the password. But when I try on iCloud.com it logs in fine.

I made a new blank user on a different machine and when I try to login via system prefs on that one it gives an "unexpected error"

Help ! To me it looks like the issue is with the iCloud account itself.

Anybody know how to unscramble ?

Posted on Nov 28, 2019 9:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2019 11:44 AM

See if you can log in while booted into the Safe Mode.

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

Web site version if required.  https://etrecheck.com

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2019 11:44 AM in response to Alastair Nisbet

See if you can log in while booted into the Safe Mode.

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

Web site version if required.  https://etrecheck.com

Nov 30, 2019 12:38 PM in response to Alastair Nisbet

I don't see anything in the Etrecheck report that should be causing problems.

Apple ID is locked or disabled

If you have changed your ID or password, have you followed the steps in this article?

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support     

If necessary, contact Apple ID Support.

Apple ID Support

Apple ID Support (2) 

Apple Support by e-mail or chat    Work through the screens to get a chat option. 

Apple Support using Twitter

Or fill out and submit this form.          The form is for iTunes, but it will get passed to the ID Support section.  

Nov 29, 2019 12:08 PM in response to Alastair Nisbet

You are welcome. Was the Etrecheck report run while booted into your normal user account (not the Safe Mode)? Try going to System Preferences/iCloud (Apple ID for Catalina) and removing all your log in items. Restart the computer and do not open any programs but System Preferences. Can you sign in?

If you can sign into iCloud while booted into the Safe Mode in your normal user account, does it stay logged in when you reboot normally?

Nov 30, 2019 12:45 PM in response to Eric Root

I was puzzled because it did the same thing on a different computer - before they locked the account. We're going to unlock the account on Monday morning - my friend whose computer it is lives in a remote spot with no mobile reception so it's tricky.

Thanks so much for your help - we'll get the account unlocked and try what you suggest. I'm thinking maybe High Sierra is tougher on login security than Mavericks so an iCloud account issue was skipped by 10.9 but locked out by 10.12. Just a theory.

I'll keep you posted - thanks again - Alastair

How to resolve a corrupted iCloud account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.