You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Battery Drain

My MacBook Pro 2018 (15-inch, i7 8850H, Radeon Pro 560X, 16GB RAM), when gaming on Windows 10, drains the battery extraordinarily fast, even though the laptop is plugged in. I am using an external monitor and peripherals. Is there are fix for this?

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 28, 2019 5:00 PM

3 replies

Dec 2, 2019 1:01 PM in response to -ari

Hi -ari,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you are experiencing a quicker battery drain on your MacBook Pro. I'd like to help.

You mentioned when gaming on Windows 10. I would assume this means you have partitioned your drive using Boot Camp to run Windows 10 on your Mac. Do you only experience this battery drain while running Windows 10 and playing this game? Are you able to play that game while running macOS, and if so, does the same battery drain happen there?

It could be expected battery drain, depending on the intensity of the graphics within the game, and the peripherals required to play the game. Please review About Mac notebook batteries - Apple Support and See how apps affect Mac performance, battery runtime, temperature, and fan activity - Apple Support.

Feel free to reply back, if you need continued support after reviewing the above articles.

Regards.

Dec 9, 2019 6:15 AM in response to -ari

-ari,

Thanks for getting back to me with these additional details.

It sounds like you've covered great steps. I would recommend making sure your macOS is up to date, along with any applications you have installed: How to update the software on your Mac - Apple Support. If you continue to notice the same behavior, I would recommend reaching out to Apple Support next, to investigate the battery concern further. Use this link to reach out: Contact - Official Apple Support.

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! Take care.

Dec 8, 2019 3:26 PM in response to brenden dv

Hello brenden dv,

Thank you for your reply.

I have used Bootcamp to install Windows 10. I have discovered that the battery drains even on MacOS Mojave when I am just doing simple things such as web browsing when the charger is plugged in. Often, it will display that the MacBook battery is "not charging" and that the power source is the power adapter.

In Activity Monitor/Task Manager (not gaming, using iGPU) the CPU usage is largely >10 percent utilization, yet there is battery drain when plugged in. The MacBook is relatively new, with only 58 battery cycles. I am perplexed as to why this happens. I am using the official Apple 87W charger. I have tried plugging it directly into a wall outlet, as I originally thought it was my power strip along with resetting SMC to no avail. However, if the laptop is asleep and plugged in, it will charge after a while; sometimes it will randomly start charging. I believe the charger may be faulty and not providing enough power to charge the MacBook. Is there any way to test that within MacOS?

(Playing CS:GO in Windows, the battery will often drain ~5 percent in a mere 10 minutes even though CS:GO is not a very taxing game.)

MacBook Pro Battery Drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.