Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Won't Download - OS Catalina

Hi guys

Been trying to download iMovie off the app store but it won't get much more than halfway before stalling. I believe this issue is something to do with OS Catalina as I'm having a lot of trouble with general iCloud stuff...while signing in it I can't verify using my iPhone password, despite it being correct.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)

Processor 2.5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5

Memory 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Serial Numbers C02J7193DTY

Posted on Nov 29, 2019 6:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2019 7:40 AM

Try dragging your present iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder to the trash, but don't empty the trash. Then sign in to the app store and open your account by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. That will reveal your purchases. iMovie will be listed if you had purchased it before. See if you can update from there. If the update is successful you can empty the trash of your old iMovie app. If for some reason the update is not available then move your old iMovie out of the trash and replace it back in the Applications folder.

If still no luck, try booting up in Safe Mode and, after everything loads (it may take a while) immediately shut down and reboot in normal mode. Now see if you can download iMovie.

-- Rich

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2019 7:40 AM in response to Tomwilliams1983

Try dragging your present iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder to the trash, but don't empty the trash. Then sign in to the app store and open your account by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. That will reveal your purchases. iMovie will be listed if you had purchased it before. See if you can update from there. If the update is successful you can empty the trash of your old iMovie app. If for some reason the update is not available then move your old iMovie out of the trash and replace it back in the Applications folder.

If still no luck, try booting up in Safe Mode and, after everything loads (it may take a while) immediately shut down and reboot in normal mode. Now see if you can download iMovie.

-- Rich

Nov 29, 2019 8:58 AM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich

Cheers for the help. I'm not actually updating iMovie in this instance, I got rid of it ages ago when my computer wasn't working very well (HD needed replacing) and since then I haven't had it. Computer is working great now I've got an SSD and some more RAM. Long story short, I'm not able to do what you recommend and iMovie isn't in my purchases, in fact there is nothing in my purchases which is a little odd as I have purchased stuff off the App store.

Tried the safe mode reboot to no avail, download is still getting stuck around 800-900mb. My hard drive has plenty of space and all.

Nov 29, 2019 9:13 AM in response to Tomwilliams1983

Have you changed your Apple I.D.? If you are using a different Apple I.D. than you did for your older purchases, then the older purchases won't show up and that also might be affecting your download efforts. If that is your situation you can try logging in with your old Apple I.D. If you ever had iMovie 10 on your computer it should show in your purchases even if you had deleted it, providing that you are using the same Apple I.D. that you used to purchase it.

Another way to get iMovie 10 is to sign in at the online app store, type in "iMovie 10 app" in the app store search box, and download it from there.

Glad to see that you computer is working great again.

-- Rich

iMovie Won't Download - OS Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.