Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

which Mac OSX versions of iTunes no longer connect to the App store

I used to be able to use iTunes v11.3 on a couple of our Macs to connect just fine to the App Store.

Now there is a -50 error after trying to sign in.

Sign in on iDevices works fine.

I believe I read that older versions of iTunes would no longer be able to connect to the App Store after some point/date.

OR perhaps it is not the iTunes version but rather the Mac OSX version?

I read that iTunes v. 12.5 onward does not access the App Store but that is not my question.

Any reference to a chart etc. that shows compatibility would be appreciated!

Posted on Nov 29, 2019 10:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2019 1:28 PM

12.6.5.3 should work. It is an out of sequence version that still supports app management. For Windows there is a cut off for other builds earlier than 12.7.2.58. Not quite sure specifically where the line is drawn for iTunes versions in OS X/macOS, but you need 10.9 Mavericks or better to access the iTunes Store for certain activity. See About App Store and iTunes Store availability - Apple Support for details.

tt2

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2019 1:28 PM in response to icwvx

12.6.5.3 should work. It is an out of sequence version that still supports app management. For Windows there is a cut off for other builds earlier than 12.7.2.58. Not quite sure specifically where the line is drawn for iTunes versions in OS X/macOS, but you need 10.9 Mavericks or better to access the iTunes Store for certain activity. See About App Store and iTunes Store availability - Apple Support for details.

tt2

Nov 29, 2019 1:54 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the link however it addresses a problem with changing payment methods.

I want to be able to download apps which I can not do with iTunes 12.6

I did find that iTunes 12.3 works fine with Mavericks.

For the older Macs with Snow Leopard AFAIK they can not run iTunes 12.

So perhaps I should have phrased my original question "Has Apple just dropped support for iTunes v11?"

as I used it a few weeks ago just fine.

Nov 29, 2019 4:21 PM in response to turingtest2

I thought I had iTunes 12.6 on one Mac but is is 12.7 - hence no app management.

I tend to download apps I think I might want later - not wanting to put it off and then find out the app requires an iOS I do not have or can not have due to the age of the iDevice.

I don't want to fill up the iDevice(s) with potential apps but a Mac can of course archive endless apps.

I found our Macs with Mavericks & older running iTunes 11 can no longer access the App Store. So Apple must have stopped support for such recently.

At least we can use Macs w/ Mavericks and 12.3 to download then share with devices.

Thank you for that link re: app management with 12.7+

Had we not Mavericks w/12.3 I would look into reverting the Mac w/ 12.7 back to an older version.

Another alternative I believe is to use iMazing on a Mac as they say one can use for app management.

Thanks again!

which Mac OSX versions of iTunes no longer connect to the App store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.