Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you give me your opinions about this build?

Hi community,

I am being offered a good deal to trade on a Mac Pro 5,1 Mid 2012 model with the below build:

• Intel Xeon 12 Cores 24T 3.06ghz
  • 64gb 1066Mhz Ram ECC
  • 520gb Nvme M2
  • 2 Tb HD 7200
  • 1 Tb HD 7200
  • Graphic Card Gigabyte RX580 8Gb
  • Update USB 3.0 PCI E (4 ports)

I am a long time apple products user but never have I had a Mac Pro. Even though I know these are good specs in general, but I am not sure how this compares to other Mac Pros especially with the new models and the large expanding options.

Is this a good build to own in 2019?

And are there any suggestions or things to consider before buying it?

Thanks.

Mac Pro

Posted on Nov 29, 2019 10:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2019 10:15 AM

Yes-it looks pretty darn good to me. I have a 12 core mac pro, slightly slower (2.93 vs your 3.06) and your graphics card is better than mine (you have a 8GB and I have a 3GB). I'd have to say that this was and is at the top of the line for 2012. The older Mac Pro's still have lots of life left in them, and people still want to buy them, as seen by the thriving used Mac Pro market.

I'd say jump on it, as it's mighty good. About the only little thing to consider is that some parts might be hard to find, but not impossible. You can add a blu ray drive in there, should you wish. You won't be able to run Catalina, but from what i've seen, that's no big deal. *cough**notreadyforprimetime**cough* --pardon me, must be dry in here.

About your only other option would be to take a swing at buying one of the newer cylinder type of Mac Pro. I don't know how good of a deal you'd get on that (too new). You would get dual video cards working together, but it's not really expandable

Of course, if you played and won the lottery, you could buy the newest Mac Pro which starts around $7,000.......

(plus monitor)

but what are the odds of that happening ?

so, yes, looks to me like you have a good one lined up.

before I go, you might want to keep your eye on the button battery behind the video card on the logic board. It's a small thing

maybe kinda simple and dumb to say, but they do eventually wear out. Oh and lastly---have and use a backup system of some kind. I'm hoping that you already do. hard drives, all of 'em, no matter what you have, Mac or PC, can and do fail, usually without warning, so better safe than sorry.

Other than that, have fun with your new "baby"

John B

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2019 10:15 AM in response to ChristianAM

Yes-it looks pretty darn good to me. I have a 12 core mac pro, slightly slower (2.93 vs your 3.06) and your graphics card is better than mine (you have a 8GB and I have a 3GB). I'd have to say that this was and is at the top of the line for 2012. The older Mac Pro's still have lots of life left in them, and people still want to buy them, as seen by the thriving used Mac Pro market.

I'd say jump on it, as it's mighty good. About the only little thing to consider is that some parts might be hard to find, but not impossible. You can add a blu ray drive in there, should you wish. You won't be able to run Catalina, but from what i've seen, that's no big deal. *cough**notreadyforprimetime**cough* --pardon me, must be dry in here.

About your only other option would be to take a swing at buying one of the newer cylinder type of Mac Pro. I don't know how good of a deal you'd get on that (too new). You would get dual video cards working together, but it's not really expandable

Of course, if you played and won the lottery, you could buy the newest Mac Pro which starts around $7,000.......

(plus monitor)

but what are the odds of that happening ?

so, yes, looks to me like you have a good one lined up.

before I go, you might want to keep your eye on the button battery behind the video card on the logic board. It's a small thing

maybe kinda simple and dumb to say, but they do eventually wear out. Oh and lastly---have and use a backup system of some kind. I'm hoping that you already do. hard drives, all of 'em, no matter what you have, Mac or PC, can and do fail, usually without warning, so better safe than sorry.

Other than that, have fun with your new "baby"

John B

Can you give me your opinions about this build?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.