Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pairing iPhone 11 with third-party Bluetooth car kit

I have been unable to pair my new iPhone 11 (IOS 13.2.3) with my 13 year-old Motorola IHF-1000 bluetooth car kit, although I had had no problem pairing my previous iPhone 6 with it. The troubleshooting section of the car kit manual includes the following statement: "The phone must support Bluetooth Handsfree Profile 0.96 or 1.0."  Does anyone know for certain whether the iPhone 11 supports those particular [ancient] profiles? If it does not, then I'll quit trying to pair it and buy a new car kit. Thanks.

iPhone 11

Posted on Nov 30, 2019 11:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2019 11:07 AM

While the iPhone 11 with iOS 13.x would support the latest Bluetooth profile, many of the older profile devices will still connect. However, given the age of the kit you are referring to, it may not. What happens when you try?

You can try this support document, If you can't connect a Bluetooth accessory to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support but it may not work. May be time to update to a different car kit, or just a handsfree earpiece or headset.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2019 11:07 AM in response to Nautico2

While the iPhone 11 with iOS 13.x would support the latest Bluetooth profile, many of the older profile devices will still connect. However, given the age of the kit you are referring to, it may not. What happens when you try?

You can try this support document, If you can't connect a Bluetooth accessory to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support but it may not work. May be time to update to a different car kit, or just a handsfree earpiece or headset.

Nov 30, 2019 11:15 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

When I try to pair the iPhone 11, the car kit voice first says "pairing in progress" three or four times about a minute apart, followed by "pairing failed - consult your user's guide." Yes, I realize that it may be time to buy a new car kit (I prefer listening to callers through my 1997 Camry's speakers), but first wanted to exhaust all troubleshooting steps. I will take a look at the support document you cite and let you know whether it helped. Thanks.

Nov 30, 2019 11:22 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Yes, I am aware of how the phone must be open to discovery, as I have paired devices before. No instructions pop up on the iPhone during the discovery attempts. I had actually read the support document you cited earlier and had followed all of those suggested tips. I fear the bottom line is that my car kit is now incompatible with the car kit's Bluetooth profiles.

Pairing iPhone 11 with third-party Bluetooth car kit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.