Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I transfer data to a new device and create a new Apple ID without losing data?

Trying to help my brother to transfer all data & apps from his old iPad to a new iPad. However, he currently shares an Apple ID with our mum and wants to get his own. How can we transfer everything from the old device to the new one, without losing data on both my mums devices and my brothers; as well as set him up with a new Apple ID of his own?

Posted on Nov 30, 2019 7:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2019 7:54 PM

First, transfer the data to the new iPad. Then change the Apple ID.

Transfer content from an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to a new device

Quick Start to transfer data from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If your brother is 13 years old or older.

Apple ID - create a new

Apple ID – Create

If he is under 13 years old, your mom will need to set up Family Sharing to create an ID for him.

Family Sharing and Apple ID for your child

Family Sharing

Family Sharing - Set up

When changing to the new ID, there may be some data loss, but you can minimize it. If syncing photos with iCloud, ensure Optimization is turned off in Settings/Your Name/iCloud/Photos and/or in Photos/Preferences/iCloud. Then make sure full resolution photos are on the device/computer. When signing out of iCloud, if asked whether you want to retain data, choose yes. Messages conversations will be lost if they are addressed to the ID. See the article below for other places that the old ID should be removed. See Winston Churchill's response in the below discussion. Also set up Family Sharing to keep access to your apps/purchases. 

How to transfer all files from one iCloud account to another

Apple ID email address or password - What to do after you change

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2019 7:54 PM in response to alexandrafromknoxfield

First, transfer the data to the new iPad. Then change the Apple ID.

Transfer content from an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to a new device

Quick Start to transfer data from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If your brother is 13 years old or older.

Apple ID - create a new

Apple ID – Create

If he is under 13 years old, your mom will need to set up Family Sharing to create an ID for him.

Family Sharing and Apple ID for your child

Family Sharing

Family Sharing - Set up

When changing to the new ID, there may be some data loss, but you can minimize it. If syncing photos with iCloud, ensure Optimization is turned off in Settings/Your Name/iCloud/Photos and/or in Photos/Preferences/iCloud. Then make sure full resolution photos are on the device/computer. When signing out of iCloud, if asked whether you want to retain data, choose yes. Messages conversations will be lost if they are addressed to the ID. See the article below for other places that the old ID should be removed. See Winston Churchill's response in the below discussion. Also set up Family Sharing to keep access to your apps/purchases. 

How to transfer all files from one iCloud account to another

Apple ID email address or password - What to do after you change

How can I transfer data to a new device and create a new Apple ID without losing data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.