Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Raw files and photos

Trying to clarify handling of raw files in Photos, since I'm about to lose iPhoto for good with Catalina: if I shoot raw + jpg in my camera, the only way I can detect the presence of the raw file that is imported together with the jpg is by seeing the double-image icon on top of the photo in the image viewer.

I am reading that the raw photo is then accessible only to Editing, but I edit in Photoshop, and clicking to edit in Photoshop only sends over the jpg; exporting unmodified original exports only the jpg.

So I have to go back through the arcane file structure inside Photos package to get my raw file out? Is this correct? I want to have my facts straight before I fire off my feedback to Apple, because this sucks rocks.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 1, 2019 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2019 12:04 PM

I am reading that the raw photo is then accessible only to Editing, but I edit in Photoshop, and clicking to edit in Photoshop only sends over the jpg

It sends over a tiff. better than a Jpeg but still, not a Raw. It can't do a raw as a raw cannot be saved, only 'saved as...' and that would involve a new file, which the App would not know about.

exporting unmodified original exports only the jpg.  

No, that exports the Raw if you select the raw.

So I have to go back through the arcane file structure inside Photos package to get my raw file out?  Is this correct?  

There is simply no scenario where this is ever correct. Just never.

Loom for the icon on the thumbnail: in a pair the Jpeg has a J tag, top right. This article explains some:

https://kirkville.com/how-to-work-with-raw-and-jpeg-photos-in-apples-photos-app/

I honestly don't believe that Photos is suitable for a Raw shooter. Mind you, I don't quite get shooting Raw+Jpeg either. What that actually gets you is Raw + Jpeg (the camera jpeg)+ Jpeg (the preview the app creates). Really rather a waste of space.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2019 12:04 PM in response to Donot Haveone

I am reading that the raw photo is then accessible only to Editing, but I edit in Photoshop, and clicking to edit in Photoshop only sends over the jpg

It sends over a tiff. better than a Jpeg but still, not a Raw. It can't do a raw as a raw cannot be saved, only 'saved as...' and that would involve a new file, which the App would not know about.

So I have to go back through the arcane file structure inside Photos package to get my raw file out?  Is this correct?  

There is simply no scenario where this is ever correct. Just never.

Loom for the icon on the thumbnail: in a pair the Jpeg has a J tag, top right. This article explains some:

https://kirkville.com/how-to-work-with-raw-and-jpeg-photos-in-apples-photos-app/

I honestly don't believe that Photos is suitable for a Raw shooter. Mind you, I don't quite get shooting Raw+Jpeg either. What that actually gets you is Raw + Jpeg (the camera jpeg)+ Jpeg (the preview the app creates). Really rather a waste of space.

Dec 1, 2019 11:41 PM in response to Donot Haveone

If you are having RAW&JPEG pairs in your library and export the original, use the command "File > Export > Export unmodified Original" will export both originals of the of the pair, the RAW and the JPEG. There is no need to switch to "Use RAW as Original", if you want to export the RAW file.

Passing the RAW file to an external editor is a bit tricky in Photos for Mac. It will depend on the version of Photos and the application you are calling as an external editor.

For example, when I use "Image > Edit With" for a RAW image and send it to Aurora HDR 2019, the image will be passed as a JPEG. But to Affinity Photos it will be passed as a TIFF.

I prefer to use the "External Editors" photo editing extension. "External Editors" is offering more control about the source image. I can select the raw source image, a TIFF, or a JPEG and will know exactly the format of the edited file.

Dec 1, 2019 11:05 AM in response to Donot Haveone

And one more question: I've opened a photo for a simple quick edit in Photos--how can I tell whether edit is giving me the raw file or the jpg to edit? In this case, again a quick snap for posting only, I want to work on the camera-provided jpg. But if I want to do something a little more elaborate with the raw file, how can I tell what I'm working on?

Dec 1, 2019 12:49 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks!

Terence Devlin wrote:

How do I select the raw? Ah, your link gives the details but needs one more bit here:

However, you can edit the RAW photo, and use it as the main photo. To do this, select a photo and press Return to enter edit mode. As part of the information that Photos shows about this picture, it says which format it’s in. Here, Photos tells me that the photo above is being edited in JPEG mode.

Photos actually does not show me this information, perhaps a version issue? I have to do a cmd-I to get info to see that it is offering the jpg.

To switch to the RAW file, choose Image > Use RAW as Original, or right-click on the photo and choose Use RAW as Original. [KEY that I missed first time around: these options only show up in Edit mode, so you have to be in edit before you can SEE these options.]

Now I've got it.

honestly don't believe that Photos is suitable for a Raw shooter.

I agree. All photo apps I've investigated are problematic for my shooting habits (high volume of reference photos where I need detailed metadata to stick with the images, Faces and Eiffel-tower recognition AI can't help with detailed macros of closely related species); plus it's a hobby, so no full time employee to keep track of all the data! I've not found any photo apps that have all the features I want, so I have cobbled together a workflow from iPhoto, Bridge, and Photoshop; Aperture was a candidate until Apple killed it; and now iPhoto is deprecated (and won't even import the raw files from this new camera, since no updates). Regardless, I've got to work with and use Photos to share images between devices, frustrating as the options are, and I just need to know how to work with what I've got.

I'm always willing to learn about new, well-supported apps offered by companies that are going to keep the apps up for a few decades, so that I don't wind up in an Aperture situation again.

Mind you, I don't quite get shooting Raw+Jpeg either. What that actually gets you is Raw + Jpeg (the camera jpeg)+ Jpeg (the preview the app creates). Really rather a waste of space.

Raw + jpg is for quick snaps where I may not want to mess with the raw file because the image is not that important; where I need to share images within minutes with someone who only works with jpgs; and the new camera does better with jpgs than prior cameras did. But: I always want the capability to work with the raw file, when the camera does not see eye to eye with me.

Dec 1, 2019 3:26 PM in response to Donot Haveone

Some photography apps you should be looking at include Lightroom Classic, probably the most used app by professionals and serious hobbyists. Very good raw processor, works excellently with Photoshop, would profoundly simplify your workflow. The Cloud version of it does all the cross-device syncing you might need. Professional grade metadata support too. CaptureOne, OnOnePhoto Raw are also worth a look.

If you import a Raw to any app it makes Jpeg preview of it. Is the camera one that much better than this one?

Raw files and photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.