Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina gets resolution wrong when HDMI switching external monitor

I've been using my MAC with a HDMI splitter to share a 4K monitor for a number of years. I've ever had a issue until the last 2 supplementary release of 10.14.6 Mojave where it seems resolution and control of the monitors got all mixed up (see my previous posts). The fix to Mojave night shift resulting in high cpu (as the kernel tried to change resolution every 1ms) was to upgrade to Caalina or turn off night shift. Indeed Catalina did fix the kernel issue however now with Catalina I have a separate issue. Normally the 4k monitor runs at 60hz and 3840x2160. However, with Catalina, if I switch the monitor between the MAC and windows and then back to MAC when reconnecting to the MAC it selects 30Hz and a resolution that is much lower than before switching and large fonts. The only way to get the resolution back is to completely disconnect the MAC, wait 30 seconds, and then plug it back in. Kind of defeats the purpose of HDMI switching but.... This particular issue did not happen with Mojave or High Sierra so it appears Catalina specific. Anyone aware of any settings that could address this behaviour?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 1, 2019 11:24 AM

Similar questions

20 replies

Dec 1, 2019 11:55 AM in response to BradSP

To help understand your current setup, may I ask a few questions?

1. Which exact model is your MacBook Pro
  2. ... and 4K monitor? What video ports does it have?
  3. Is your notebook now running macOS Catalina 10.15.1?
  4. How about your Windows PC? Is it running Windows 10?
  5. Does it have a dedicated graphics card or use built-in graphics? Regardless, in addition to HDMI, does it sport any other video connections ... like Mini DisplayPort?
  6. What is the make & model of the HDMI splitter that you are using?

Dec 1, 2019 1:04 PM in response to Tesserax

1. A1706
  2. LG 27UK850 has display port and HDMI 1 and 2 - Using HDMI 1
  3. Running 10.15.1
  4. Windows 1903
  5. Dedicated 1050ti graphics card, supports display port
  6. Simplecom CM324 splitter

I have a bootable backup of Mojave 10.14.6 sup 2 (think its G103 form memory) prior to upgrading to Catalina. If I boot the MAC off that this problem does not exist. The hardware remains the same bar the OS and the Boot Drive. The issue only occurs if I boot Catalina and use the internal SSD to boot from.

Dec 1, 2019 4:53 PM in response to BradSP

Thanks for the additional information. Is there any reason that you are using the HDMI splitter and not just connecting a second HDMI cable from the PC to the monitor's second HDMI port? ... or using a direct DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort connection between this PC and the monitor?

FWIW, I have a somewhat similar setup at you. In my case I have a Dell 4K monitor that has HDMI, Mini-DisplayPort, and a DisplayPort ports. My home-built PC, is also running Windows 10 1903 and has an EVGA 980 card. I have the PC connected via DisplayPort and my 2018 Mac mini by HDMI to this monitor. Works great. However, it didn't originally when I first upgraded to macOS Catalina. I had to use a USB-C-to-HDMI adapter on the mini to get the HDMI connection to be consistent as it was exhibiting the same resolution problems you are getting. However, after upgrading to 10.15.1, I was able to return to using a straight HDMI-to-HDMI connection without any resolution issues. Switching the display between computers is done via a front panel controls on the monitor itself.

Dec 2, 2019 7:32 AM in response to BradSP

I have a similar issue with Catalina. I have a 2018 Macbook pro, with a Samsung 55" QLED TV as my main display via HDMI (USBC->HDMI) and it works beautifully on Mojave, however on Catalina the "Default" resolution on my monitor is now 1920x1080, and not 3840x2160 as it is on Mojave. Going into display settings, I can change this manually, and does use 60 Hz, so I was content.

That was until I found that whenever my laptop went to sleep, or even just turned the display off - on wake, it would be back to 3840x2160, however all windows would be stuffed into a 1920x1080 square in the lower left of the screen - making it unusable. After a few days of fighting with this, and apple confirming the issue, I went back to Mojave. I do hope this issue is fixed soon.

Dec 2, 2019 11:53 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks @Tesseax. I run this way because I'm too lazy to switch the monitor manually and I like the remote control of the HDMI switcher. Pity that Apple just seem to have continued backwards on external monitors since 10.14.5. My daughters MAC (on 10.14.5) shows none of these issues. Unfortunately trying to go back to Mojave yields a 10.14.6 version which has similar and worse bugs than Catalina so far. I guess I am stranded until Apple fix these issues. Thanks for the suggestion.

Dec 12, 2019 12:23 PM in response to BradSP

Well seems that 10.15.2 is out but by the initial feedback I'm thinking I may well avoid it completely give the fact that I use a external Apple 27in monitor and looks like the initial feedback is that these are now not working. There is more than 1 thread on this in mac rumors. This means I will put off playing with the MAC until the weekend because its going to need lots of stuffing around and time to determine if I am inflicted by the same issues as others and rolling back etc Appears to be a continuation of external monitor issues. Wonder if at some point Apple may get it right?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/external-display-not-working-since-upgrading-to-10-15-2.2215286/

Also monitors working on .1 that no longer work after .2 upgrade...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/external-display-not-working-since-upgrading-to-10-15-2.2215286/?post=28058184#post-28058184

Looking at the release notes there is nothing in there that I need in my daily work life other than maybe the security updates. Unfortunately they will take a back seat to workflow still being functional afterall that is what pays my bills. Anyway, weekend job to back up, test, and rollback potentially. Managing my MAC upgrades has become a hassle much worse than windows in the last 12 months.

Dec 13, 2019 2:16 AM in response to BradSP

Well had an absolute awful time upgrading to 10.15.2. Took 3 times with each rolling back to a working .1 to try again. Seems that during the upgrade process the WindowServer process dies and stops everything from progressing.

I can confirm this problem still exists in 10.15.2.

Time to roll back to avoid any other 10.15.2 issues i could inherit that I don;t want. Wasted 3.5 hrs the way it is to get an actual upgrade to work....

Dec 13, 2019 2:16 AM in response to BradSP

Well had an absolute awful time upgrading to 10.15.2. Took 3 times with each rolling back to a working .1 to try again. Seems that during the upgrade process the WindowServer process dies and stops everything from progressing.

I can confirm this problem still exists in 10.15.2.

Time to roll back to avoid any other 10.15.2 issues i could inherit that I don't want. Wasted 3.5 hrs the way it is to get an actual upgrade to work....

Dec 14, 2019 9:18 PM in response to nullcode

If going from Catalina back to Mojave you will get a weekly error report about potentially being hacked or some thing like that. There is a weekly validation of the firmware checksum against the release. Since Catalina updated the firmware it will not match Mojave....doesn't stop anything that I am aware of however...just another pain.

Dec 14, 2019 9:39 PM in response to BradSP

I went to Catalina when it was first launched, and reverted back to Mojave a couple days later after all the issues it caused. Have been happy since, and do not get any weekly error reports, etc.. In fact the only annoying thing I get is the continual "update" that is available to install Catalina. I was able to hide the update, so that is not so bad either.

Happy to sit and wait until Catalina is more mature.

Dec 26, 2019 12:36 PM in response to nullcode

Well, as I know 10.14.6 is buggy, and there is no way to get to 10.14.5 that I am aware of, and since I'm on holidays and have the time addressing apple MAC OS instability issues, I rolled one of my 3 household MACs backwards from Catalina to High Sierra. This issue, the issue regarding polling external monitors when asleep, and the internal display brightness being maximum when connecting an external monitor have have disappeared. I'm in the process of intstalling my work applcatin back to the machine. Decided to use it for work with a 2 generation old OS because it works much better than the other options. Sadly I could not figure out how to get to 10.14.5. I don't think its possible unfortunately. However HS is working for me just a pity that the stablity for external monitors has been lost since then.

Jan 30, 2020 12:04 PM in response to BradSP

I upgraded without issues, however it did not help my HDMI issues. I still only get 30 Hz when not in Mirror mode, and waking from sleep often does not show anything on the monitor - need to replug the USB-C to HDMI adapter to have it come back up. I am worried it will break the port on my device if I have to keep doing this.

Feb 1, 2020 10:52 AM in response to nullcode

Thanks @nullcode for the response I hope you do not inherit other issues. I've learn now from my past history here with Apple that once you get some thing that works stop upgrading. By the looks of it, if the external monior issues get resolve it will be almost a year after they got broken as such. Thats one slow pace to fix bugs. I'm staying on 10.15.1 for now. Thanks again for the feedback, disappointing but what was expected.

Catalina gets resolution wrong when HDMI switching external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.