Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Speech dictation

In Pages  I click on Speech and then start speaking to dictate.  Nothing happens.   I have called tech support and she walked me though the process.  Two days later it technique she created is no longer.   Can someone tell me how to make this work and stay working.   i have use of one arm and need to dictate messages for work.  

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 1, 2019 11:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2019 2:16 PM

The Edit menu : Speech menu item is for having selected/default text spoken to you. It has nothing to do with dictation.

There are two forms of Dictation capability in macOS Catalina. Regular dictation which is enabled in System Preferences : Keyboard panel : Dictation — where every word you speak must travel to Apple's servers to be interpreted as text and sent back to the current document, or text input field. One used to be able to enable enhanced dictation in the same location which performed all the dictation interpretation locally for speedier, but often less accurate results.

In Catalina, Apple has added Voice Control in System Preferences : Accessibility : Voice Control panel. This is a Siri Speech Recognition engine that takes the place of the old Enhanced Dictation, and also involves a hefty download of that software. The Siri speech engine only works for English speakers, and otherwise, the old Enhanced Dictation is used.

You can configure Voice Control using this Apple article, Use Voice Control on your Mac. It will take it awhile to adapt to your voice and speech patterns, and you can customize commands and vocabulary for it too, which are also shown in the preceding link.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2019 2:16 PM in response to HaroldPhoto

The Edit menu : Speech menu item is for having selected/default text spoken to you. It has nothing to do with dictation.

There are two forms of Dictation capability in macOS Catalina. Regular dictation which is enabled in System Preferences : Keyboard panel : Dictation — where every word you speak must travel to Apple's servers to be interpreted as text and sent back to the current document, or text input field. One used to be able to enable enhanced dictation in the same location which performed all the dictation interpretation locally for speedier, but often less accurate results.

In Catalina, Apple has added Voice Control in System Preferences : Accessibility : Voice Control panel. This is a Siri Speech Recognition engine that takes the place of the old Enhanced Dictation, and also involves a hefty download of that software. The Siri speech engine only works for English speakers, and otherwise, the old Enhanced Dictation is used.

You can configure Voice Control using this Apple article, Use Voice Control on your Mac. It will take it awhile to adapt to your voice and speech patterns, and you can customize commands and vocabulary for it too, which are also shown in the preceding link.

Speech dictation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.