Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cant move clips in the timeline after 10.1.3 upgrade, forced to upgrade after Catalina

Upgraded to Catalina, imovie didnt work, upgraded to new imovie 10.1.3.

I can import and trim clips fine, but I cant move them around in the timeline at all?

I dont wanna back up my Mojave from time machine because my recently delete photos would not delete until i did :( I wont have enough space for my movie files if I cant delete my photos

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 3, 2019 6:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2019 9:45 PM

Hi,

You should be able to move clips around the timeline by putting your cursor on them and, while pressing down, dragging the clip to another location in the timeline. If you are doing that and it is not working for you, try the following diagnostic procedures:

Try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Return to your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if your can move your clips in the timeline.

If no luck, try creating a new project and see if the issue is resolved there.

If still no luck, as a final resort do a redownload of iMovie. To do that drag your iMovie app from the Applications folder to the trash, but don't empty the trash. Then sign in to the app store and open your account by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will then see a list of your purchases. iMovie should be one of them. You can download it from there. If for some reason the redownload is unavailable or unsuccessful, drag your old iMovie app out of the trash and replace it in the Applications folder.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2019 9:45 PM in response to proprobst69

Hi,

You should be able to move clips around the timeline by putting your cursor on them and, while pressing down, dragging the clip to another location in the timeline. If you are doing that and it is not working for you, try the following diagnostic procedures:

Try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Return to your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if your can move your clips in the timeline.

If no luck, try creating a new project and see if the issue is resolved there.

If still no luck, as a final resort do a redownload of iMovie. To do that drag your iMovie app from the Applications folder to the trash, but don't empty the trash. Then sign in to the app store and open your account by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will then see a list of your purchases. iMovie should be one of them. You can download it from there. If for some reason the redownload is unavailable or unsuccessful, drag your old iMovie app out of the trash and replace it in the Applications folder.

-- Rich

I cant move clips in the timeline after 10.1.3 upgrade, forced to upgrade after Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.