Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Restore Button Stays Grayed Out

I'm restoring a few files from Time Machine. After selecting a few files the 'Restore" button stays grayed. I can't click on it to restore.

Restoring from a iMac 27” late 15 Mojave 10.14.6 to an iMac 21.5” late 13 with Mojave 10.14.6

Any suggestions?

Posted on Dec 4, 2019 8:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2019 2:59 PM

I called Apple and they had me drag the files I needed to where I wanted them via finder, bypassing time machine. So simple - I’m glad I didn’t spend any more time on this one!

By the way I specifically stated I was restoring from one mac to another in my original post.

5 replies

Dec 4, 2019 10:34 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank You rkaufmann87 for that link. It works fine for me until I get to #4, click on the Cloud option. I have no cloud option. The options I have are Mail, Airdrop, Messages, Notes and '....More.' Click More gets me nowhere. I tried Airdrop and was able to airdrop a large numbers file I needed to my laptop. But then I have to airdrop it back to the computer I am trying to restore to?

I want to restore to another iMac. I only want certain files to start, so I can work while my big iMac (hopefully) is repaired. Some of these files could be a lot larger I am sure than airdrop will handle.

1. Open Time Machine by clicking on the icon in the menu bar and choosing Enter Time Machine, or search for Time Machine using Spotlight: cmd+spacebar and start typing Time Machine, or if you have a Time Machine icon in your Dock just click on it.
  2. You can either find the specific files you wish to restore using the onscreen up and down arrows to locate it.
  3. When you find the file you can press Space Bar to preview it and check its the one you want.
  4. Click on the Cloud icon to download a snapshot to view it. When you do this that snapshot will be available to view even when your external drive is disconnected from the Mac.
  5. Click Restore to restore the selected file, or cut and paste the specific text you are looking for if you don’t want to replace the new version with the old version of the document.

rkaufmann87 wrote:

You have to let TM know the point in time you are restoring from. Please look over https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/time-machine-restore-3449071/ for some instructions on how to use TM to restore files.

Dec 4, 2019 11:02 AM in response to glasheree

You did not indicate what you are attempting to do is restore files from one Mac to another. I would recommend visiting https://www.baligu.com/pondini/TM/Home.html and researching how to restore specific files from one computer to another.

This site is quite old (2013) as the developer passed away then however it is still relevant and useful.

My recommendation to migrate data from one Mac to another is to use Migration Assistant, however Migration Assistant will not allow you to select the data files you want to migrate, it's an all or nothing proposition. However it is the quickest and easiest method of migrating from an old Mac to a new one.

Dec 4, 2019 11:08 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks! I will read it. Sorry I wasn't clear. I am trying to restore partial files only because the computer I am restoring to has a smaller capacity and I need crucial business files. I'm on day 4 now, spent the last 3 days upgrading my laptop and the computer to which I am restoring. I'll spare you the details except to say I just cried for 5 minutes and now I'm ready to move forward. :)

Time Machine Restore Button Stays Grayed Out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.