Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine not restoring

Time machine update but when I try to restore a file I find the time and date to restore, it goes to that page, but the Restore button will not highlight so I can't restore.

I get around it by clicking on the volume on my hard drive, opening the chosen backup, find the file, then drag it to my desktop. This is a pain.

I have a Seagate Plus Slim external drive. They say this is a Time Machine problem.

Why does Restore button not highlight?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 10:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 12:40 PM

I was trying to restore a folder with other folders in it. I find that I have to highlight the actual folder I want, or the files in the folder, then the Restore button lights and I can restore the files.

Something so simple can't believe I missed that.

Similar questions

4 replies

Dec 7, 2020 11:35 AM in response to RoydenfromMB

Hi there, RoydenfromMB.

It appears that you're having a problem restoring a file from a Time Machine backup. After you locate the backup and try to restore, the Restore button stays gray. We'd like for you to contact Apple Support for this.

Get Support - Select whichever type of Mac you're using, then type "time machine" in the Search topics field. Then elect "Backing up or restoring data using Time Machine" from the Results.

Take care.

Time machine not restoring

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.