Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages formatting problem

I am struggling with Pages and have one line in a document where there is double spacing between the words. I don't know why this happened and want to get rid it it but despite following Apples support guidance it just won't go away. Could anyone tell me what to try to remove it for this line?

Sorry this is so basic but that's about my level!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 4, 2019 11:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2019 12:33 PM

Double-spacing between lines can be resolved in the Spacing section by setting Lines to 1.

Double-spacing between words can be caused by too much character spacing, which is adjusted in the Advanced Options panel (gear icon beneath font size adjustment) by setting Character Spacing to 0.

Add period with double-space is a selection that can be changed in System Preferences : Keyboard : Text panel.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2019 12:33 PM in response to Mackirdy

Double-spacing between lines can be resolved in the Spacing section by setting Lines to 1.

Double-spacing between words can be caused by too much character spacing, which is adjusted in the Advanced Options panel (gear icon beneath font size adjustment) by setting Character Spacing to 0.

Add period with double-space is a selection that can be changed in System Preferences : Keyboard : Text panel.

Dec 5, 2019 3:19 AM in response to VikingOSX

Many thanks - works perfectly on a new document so it’s very helpful for future., However I still can’t apply it to this problem document - I can’t remove the double spacing between words despite applying the principles you suggested. I am beginning to wonder if the document was corrupted in some way and will just have to start again unless you have any other ideas. Very much appreciate your help.

Pages formatting problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.