Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't silence phone ringer when connected to bluetooth speaker

So when I'm connected to my JBL Flip 3 bluetooth speaker and i have my phone on silent my phone STILL rings through the speaker. I've tried to find solutions for this, but all I seem to find are solutions similar to this:

"After connecting your phone to the Bluetooth device, go to your phone’s Settings then Bluetooth Settings. Under the section Bluetooth Paired Devices you will see two settings for the paired devices: phone audio and media audio. Uncheck the phone audio option. This will stop your phone from ringing while connected to the Bluetooth device (speaker) but the music will stop when a call rings."

I DONT have any settings for paired devices, all i have are my listed bluetooth devices and the little info icon next to them. When I click on the info icon the only options I have are disconnect and forget this device. This is getting frustrating as I like to have music playing quietly at work, but then when my phone rings it blasts at full bloody volume through the speaker. Am I missing something? Why dont I have the options that all these solutions say I should?

Posted on Dec 4, 2019 2:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2019 2:19 PM

That is an issue with the speaker. If you do not see the settings described, it is a lack of the feature on the speaker. As far as the ringing, it is something that occurs when connected to Bluetooth. The Mute switch does not control things when using a Bluetooth speaker. You can set your device on Do Not Disturb if you wish, but that would silence all notifications. Not much else you can do about that.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2019 2:19 PM in response to CubbyWubby

That is an issue with the speaker. If you do not see the settings described, it is a lack of the feature on the speaker. As far as the ringing, it is something that occurs when connected to Bluetooth. The Mute switch does not control things when using a Bluetooth speaker. You can set your device on Do Not Disturb if you wish, but that would silence all notifications. Not much else you can do about that.

Dec 9, 2019 10:21 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

I don't believe it's a speaker issue. I have this same speaker and it connected to my Galaxy S8 and I was able to manage if if the phone rang over the speaker or not. So I know the speaker is capable of it. I just got the iPhone 11 Pro and am frustrated that I am unable to find where to stop the calls from ringing through the bluetooth speaker, since I know it's possible.

Can't silence phone ringer when connected to bluetooth speaker

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.