Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

activation failed

Apple TV (A1469, 7.2.2) persistently failed to login to itunes, and failed to download system updates so I did a full reset.

After the reset, apple tv 3rd gen gives "activation failed" message persitently. Network connectivity should be ok, no firewalling or such...

Past Support forum posts suggest that this issue was solved in past by repeated resets, which in my case does not solve it.

Apple TV

Posted on Dec 5, 2019 2:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2019 10:00 AM

That error will be issued when i is not properly connected to the network.

If on wifi try ethernet

Make sure router has port 123 pen (refer to manual if unsure)

To see a current status of the network get a report from istumbler, netstumbler or similar. Look for signal strength, noise, nearby networks

Test on another network

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2019 10:00 AM in response to vmr_mac

That error will be issued when i is not properly connected to the network.

If on wifi try ethernet

Make sure router has port 123 pen (refer to manual if unsure)

To see a current status of the network get a report from istumbler, netstumbler or similar. Look for signal strength, noise, nearby networks

Test on another network

Dec 5, 2019 10:48 AM in response to vazandrew

Thanks, I've been on wired Ethernet all along, and it did not occur to me to try over Wi-Fi since my APs are in the same LAN, with no firewalling taking place on the related ports...

But changing to use wireless allows me to get through and activate, update etc so problem partially solved... Possibly the Ethernet adapter is dead on the ATV, I'll need to find out later!

activation failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.