Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I alter the permission of a file without using Get Info?

There is a file that I can't delete. When I try to delete the file, there is an error message that says "The operation can't be completed because you don't have permission to access some of the items."

When I look at "Get Info", the "Sharing & Permissions:" says "You can only read" but in the table, it states that I have privilege to "Read & Write". I can't click the lock to change this.

Is there any other way to alter the permission of a file without using "Get Info"?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 5, 2019 7:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2019 7:46 PM

Check the protections on the directory that this file is stored in. Make sure you can write that, too.

If this is an SD card, check the write-lock.

Failing that, launch Terminal.app and enter:

ls -ale@

with a trailing space on that string. Then drag the DSC_6530.JPG file from Finder and the GUI and into the terminal session, and you’ll get the path added to the end of the command. The dile itself won’t move, a d won’t be changed. Then press return to execute the command. Post the output from that ls command.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2019 7:46 PM in response to chocofudgecake

Check the protections on the directory that this file is stored in. Make sure you can write that, too.

If this is an SD card, check the write-lock.

Failing that, launch Terminal.app and enter:

ls -ale@

with a trailing space on that string. Then drag the DSC_6530.JPG file from Finder and the GUI and into the terminal session, and you’ll get the path added to the end of the command. The dile itself won’t move, a d won’t be changed. Then press return to execute the command. Post the output from that ls command.

How can I alter the permission of a file without using Get Info?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.